Strange no start(fuel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange no start(fuel)

about 6 weeks ago my car would not start. got it home and did testing--fuel pump. put a new a one in and it was perfect.

one month later same deal. didn't test this time but just put a new pump in(under warranty) and it cranked right up. went back out 2 hours later and no start but would fire right up with starting fluid. came back out 15 mins later to test for power and ground and it started right up again no problems

then bought new fuel pump and O2 relays because they were cheap and would rule them out. then today(about 2 weeks since last time) my car lost fuel in my work parking lot coming in and would not crank back up. cranked on starting fluid. swapped relays and nothing. came back at lunch to test for power and ground and it cranked up no problems since.

Relays still? main relay? ECU? bad grounds? loose connection at the distribution block?
    fuel fuse has not once blown during all of this and i have always had spark.

Lots of crud in your gas tank?

Comment

Intermittent faults are the hardest to diagnose…

At this point you don't know where to look, but you can find out. Temporarily tie an indicator light to the output lead of the fuel pump relay and zip tie the light to the cowl. The next time this happens the light will tell if the relay is providing power to fuel pump, which in turn tells you whether the cause is from the relay through the DME or from the relay to the pump. You can do similar thing with a light attached to the fuel pump power lead.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Sorry to ride on this thread but I'm having a similar situation. But here are my circumstances though.

I changed the fuel line going to the injector rail as there was a fuel smell in the engine bay and I noticed fuel leaks on both ends of the line. I replaced this less than a year ago but for some reason it was still leaking so I bought a new hose. As I replaced this, I also replaced the FPR.

Then when I park for a few hours, it doesn't start. Takes a few cranks even. It even died on me once while running. Good thing no one was at my back and I had space on my right to immediately pull over. It took a few cranks to start it up again.

Is there air in the system? Is there any way to bleed it? Isn't it suppose to self-bleed as the fuel is pushed towards the rails?

Do I test fuel pressure at the pump? And at the rails?
        Last edited by Quinthirty; 11-21-2013, 04:52 PM.

Comment

happened again to me yesterday I was away and did not have anything to test with.
          I went to my O2 and fuel pump relays and they were both HOT. I unplugged them and cooled them off in the air. when i put them back in, the car cranked right up and no problems since.

So? what would cause my relays to get hot stop working but only like once a month?

Comment

The relays getting hot means the coils are drawing too much current, like from a system over voltage (above ~14v) or shorted turns in the coil, excessive current through the relay contacts, or excessive resistance through the relay pins/sockets. That last is the most likely and could cause problems that look like a bad fuel pump.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

ok I accept that. Now how do I fix it? I can deal with over voltage but the others not so sure how to deal with

Comment

Working...
              X