Any suggestion would help a lot. Rebuilt m20 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any suggestion would help a lot. Rebuilt m20 help

Hello members I have problem with my rebuilt m20, it has less then 20 miles. And the engine is overheating. The engine got a complete overhaul, the car has new water pump, fan clutch, heater core, coolant sensor, thermostat was from oreillys but am getting a oem instead.

Also members would the transmission overheat the car, it's a rebuilt transmission.

OVERHEATING OVERHEATING OVERHEATING OVERHEATING GO AWAY LOL

Cooling system could have a bubble in the block. Did you try rebleeding it?

Comment

I am gonna rebleed it, when I get the oem thermostat.

Comment

If it is overheating, bleed it again now. Or don't drive the car until you get the new thermostat. Bleed by:

1) Using ramps or a jack get the front of the car 1' or more higher than
        the rear. That will make the radiator and bleed screw the highest point
        on the engine and facilitate removal of air.

2) With the bleed screw open, add coolant until no more air comes out of
        the bleed.

3) Leave the filler cap off, or at least loose, and set the heat for max
        temp and fan speed. Leaving the cap loose will prevent air that's still
        in the system from causing a "coolant fountain" once the engine heats
        up. Start the engine and allow it to warm up to operating temp. As it
        warms up occasionally crack the bleed screw to release any air and top
        up the coolant as necessary.

4) Once the engine is at temp bring it up to 2000-2500rpm for a few seconds
        several times. Then crack the bleed until no more air is released. At
        this point the heater should be throwing lots of hot air, which
        indicates that the heater core is filled with coolant. You may have to
        repeat this a few times to get all the air out.

5) Drive the car a bit, allow it to cool back down, and recheck the
        bleed for air. Over the next few days you may get very small amounts (a
        few bubbles) of air out of the bleed screw.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I will let you what happens

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          If it is overheating, bleed it again now. Or don't drive the car until you get the new thermostat. Bleed by:

the bleed.

Comment

It's not overheating anymore drove it. But I do have more question. The engine has less then 30 miles and it's idling rough. What should I do.

the bleed.

Comment

It depends on what went into your "rebuild". Rebuild constitutes new pistons/rockers/cam among other things.

What have you done as part of your break in procedure so far? check for vacuum leaks?
              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

After work on an engine, the first suspect when faced with a rough idle would be intake leaks. A smoke test will find any leaks.

Comment

Lol I haven't drive It much. But what can I do speed up to break in the engine. Can I lift the rear end of the ground and have it gear and give it gas ?

Comment

New on the engine

New piston rings
                    New main bearing
                    New rod bearings
                    New oil pump
                    New gaskets from bottom too top.
                    New timing belt n tensioner
                    Head rebuilt
                    New water pump
                    New fan clutch
                    Crank was cut

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_e30 View Post
                      Lol I haven't drive It much. But what can I do speed up to break in the engine. Can I lift the rear end of the ground and have it gear and give it gas ?
                      The best break in of the engine is to get it up to normal operating temperature and then run it at 2500rpm for 30 minutes. Best to do this with the car on jack stands so that you can check for leaks and to monitor head temperature and oil pressure during the run.

Comment

And it also has rebuilt transmission. I will try this method have you done it before or someone you know ?

Comment

That is how we break in race engines. And I'm told this is also how motor cycle are broken in.

Comment

That is how we break in race engines. And I'm told this is also how motor cycle are broken in.
                            Thanks a lot will try this method.

Comment

Have you checked the valve clearances since you installed the motor? That could be the cause of your bad idle.

Comment

Working...
                              X