Result of worn valve guides in an M20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Result of worn valve guides in an M20?

What's the result of valve guides being out of spec? The internet says increased oil consumption and intuition tells me increased wear on the valve stems. Anything else? Anything specific to the M20? This is more for my own education, as little corrective action will be taken at this point.

I wasn't losing a drop of oil before the tear down and my valve stems were shiny clean at the point where they would be inside the guide, so I'm assuming I'm not showing symptoms yet, but thought I'd ask since this represents knowledge I don't yet have :)
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

An increase in oil consumption and noisier than normal valves are the usual result of worn guides.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The guides are softer than the valves, so you won't hurt the valve stems. Otherwise they would wear on them when new.

Oil consumption may or may not be a problem as well depending on how good your valve stem seals are.

Comment

i would imagine the valve sealing would be compromised as well
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to use a VR hg to test my ability to properly install it. So worse case I save some cash and I do the valves guides, new valves, and and a hg in 20k :)
          -------------------------------------------------
          1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
          2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Uneven seat wear and premature valve seal failure. Props for using the Evil Gasket. ;)

Comment

Working...
            X