Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SETA with ETA fuel management, Idling problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SETA with ETA fuel management, Idling problem.

ok so I was finally able to get my motor to fire and run tonight, but it idles at like 2000-3000, sometimes it will start to drop, but heads right back up. the motor is a SETA long block, the fuel management system is orginial to the car (1987 325e)the only thing that is not currently hooked up is the cold start valve, the fuel line is not attached, the fuel line from the chassis, is hooked directly to the fuel rail, and the regulator goes to the return.

so I guess the 2 big questions I have are:
    1: is the SETA with the ETA fuel system ok, or possible, or should I be running a diffrent system.
    and:
    2: if the ETA management with the SETA long block is ok, where do I start to fix the idle problem?

Dumpster Fire Pilot

I would start by checking for vacuum leaks and check and see if your ICV is functioning. Also check that the throttle plate is closing all the way and that the accelerator cable and cruise control cable are not holding it open.

Comment

The SETA engine needs the SETA engine management system (AFM, injectors, FPR, CPS, engine harness, and DME)
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

cleaned and checked the icv, brought the idle down to about 1500-1800, but is still jumps up to like 3-4k, and kinda floats around. throttle plate is closing all the way....
        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          The SETA engine needs the SETA engine management system (AFM, injectors, FPR, CPS, engine harness, and DME)
          I'm not using any of the SETA management system at all. Basicly, what I started with was a long block, so no intake, no sensors, no pullies, no flywheel, just a complete block and head. I bolted on all the ETA sensors, intake, flywheel, pullies and harmonic ballancer, along with all the timing belt covers and such.
          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

The mass flow characteristics of the SuperETA engine are different from an ETA. The ETA engine management system just isn't tuned for that.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Just a thought, is your intake boot ripped?

Comment

Originally posted by E30NJ View Post
                Just a thought, is your intake boot ripped?
                Nope, brand new, new clamps. I'm going to get the 5th injector fuel line hooked up, and start checking for vacuum leaks. Not ready to throw in the towel on the ETA Fuel/intake system yet. besides, SETA stuff isn't easy to come by here.....
                Last edited by delamaize; 01-23-2014, 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling is not my friend.
                Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Update, recleaned and retested the ICV, it's not closing, I did the "penny trick," but closing the exit end of the ICV off with electrical tape instead, leaving a small gap at one side, and lo-and-behold, the idle dropped, to like 500...:shock: I made the hole a little bigger, and got it to sit at about 1000. so I guess I know where the problem is, just gotta find a new one.

I still have a few things to sort out, it hesitates a little, but I think that might be a spark plug gap issue, I let a friend gap them for me when we built the motor, and he said he may have gaped them wrong. :roll: but then again, this motor was assembled and installed to just get the car on the road, and get the city off my back. I'm planning on doing a M/S5x swap eventually, so having it run 100% isn't crucial......
                  Last edited by delamaize; 01-23-2014, 11:13 PM. Reason: Spelling is for squares.....
                  Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Working...
                  X