momentary lose of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

momentary lose of power

120 miles into a 200 mile trip yesterday my eta lost power for just a split second. when I pumped the throttle she picked right back up. the tach did not drop. she did it one more time when almost home. vacume lines are all on. she idles fine at 750. the car has around 400k on it but all highway using high test gas. she has all new (9 months) tune up parts.

any thoughts?? fuel pump? cps? fuel relay?
    sigpic

Fuel pump or pump relay would be my first suspects.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      Fuel pump or pump relay would be my first suspects.
      thanks jim, question, would the cps do it or only rear it's head with a no start condition?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by long tall eta View Post
        thanks jim, question, would the cps do it or only rear it's head with a no start condition?
        You specifically mentioned the tach did not drop, so the ECU was getting good timing data the whole time. CPS is probably not the issue, but you can ohm it out just to be sure. I wanna say it's around 540 +/- 10 ohms of resistance. If the wire is frayed or covered in oil, it wouldn't hurt to replace it if you never have before. 400k is a looooot of miles.

If you have a multimeter and a 12V supply or some jumper wire, you can test the relay manually. You want continuity in the high amperage circuit when you power and ground the low amperage circuit. Relays are cheap enough that you could totally skip that and just replace it. Since the pump doesn't have a problem turning on when you start the car, I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge and watch it while you idle, rev, and drive. Dips in fuel pressure could be an intermittent wiring problem, partial clog, or dying pump.
        Last edited by EatsHondas; 05-03-2014, 01:01 AM.
        1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
        5-Speed Swapped
        M30B35 Swapped
        MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
        260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

Working...
        X