M20....signature tilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20....signature tilt

I'm working on a little project and when I Google pitch or degree of the m20 in the engine bay I get a bunch of bolt and cam threads....

Can someone quickly tell me how many degrees off vertical 90 the m20 sits in the engine bay?

Thanks
    Last edited by IronFreak; 12-08-2014, 01:09 PM.
    sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Going off of an oil pan, 60 degrees, or 30 off of vertical.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Or were you referring to fore/aft tilt?
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Vertical left/right (Pass/driver).

Thanks man, I appreciate it.
        sigpic

Comment

you said 30 in here and 20 degrees in the m20 manifold thread?!
          sigpic

Comment

Oopsie? I just did it again to re-check myself. I got 30 degrees.

I set the flat part of the m20 pan on a level surface, then measured the angle of the mating surface.

I'm assuming two things here. The bottom of an m20 oil pan is level with the ground, and the mating surface is perpendicular to the center line of the engine.

What I know, is that it can only be one of these numbers. Which one? I'm inclined to think its the 30 degree one because I measured it with my own eyes and hands.

My guess is that Nando maybe got the numbers backwards? He may not be unflappable after all.
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hahaha, I just chuckled when I read that. I'll be dropping in my motor here in the next couple weeks. I'll double check when it's in the car.
              sigpic

Comment

So more scouring gets someone saying that the oil pan is 30 degrees and the actual motor is 20 degrees. So center line is not purpledickular. Maybe solved?

And Nando is still unflappable…
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Alright. I looked at an m20 block today and the oil pan mating surface and the head mating surface appear to be parallel. If this turns out to be accurate, then the m20 sits at a 30 degree tilt. This is my final answer (also my first answer…).
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

An m50 sits around 30 degrees and when using an e30 transmission on the back of one for a swap the selector rod and transmission mount both need to be twisted 10 degrees, by that information we can assume the m20 is a 20 degree inline 6. another thing is that the side of the oil pan doesnt sit inline with the side of the engine block, it is slightly angled in as it goes down, nor does the bottom of the oil pan sit parallel to the head mounting surface on the block (head gasket). with the engine arms tilted equally and sitting an equal distance from the ground the top of the block mating surface (head gasket) is almost exactly 20 degrees, which supports the fact that the selector rod needs a 10 degree twist and the m50 sits at a 30 degree angle. in reality its probably not 20 but its very close, assuming that the engine arms are mounted evenly on the subframe.
                    BroWorks.com Bro is a lifestyle

Comment

so, has anyone put an OEM ZF 4HP22 (from a 91 325iC) back in with an M5x/S5x? is the extra 10 degrees tilt workable?
                      oil pan in the trans tilted....
                      shift lever adaptable?
                      FYI, the Type A 4HP22 is rated for 265 ft-lbs torque.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmermaven View Post
                        so, has anyone put an OEM ZF 4HP22 (from a 91 325iC) back in with an M5x/S5x? is the extra 10 degrees tilt workable?
                        oil pan in the trans tilted....
                        shift lever adaptable?
                        FYI, the Type A 4HP22 is rated for 265 ft-lbs torque.

thanks
                        if the goal is staying auto then you'll probably need one of the a4s/a5s auto transmissions from the e36.

Comment

Working...
                        X