Stomp test questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stomp test questions

Ok - I have searched many threads and understand how to do the Stomp test but I cannot seem to answer a couple of questions.

I have a 1991 BMW 325i and recently had the check engine light turn on briefly during a cold startup and at idle - then car died - restarted light was on - then disappeared a few seconds later..

Drove home, parked the car - have started it 3 times since - did not drive it anywhere - not the 5 times to take it to reset.

I tried the stomp test several times and get no flicker.. I put car in neutral - turn ignition to on - lights all appear - do not start - depress accelerator 5 times and nothing happens - check engine light does not go off - it does not flicker..

Question - if the check engine light is not on when running - will the stomp test reveal anything?

Question #2 - if there are no fault codes - will the check engine light flash at all?

Question #3 - If the check Engine Light briefly comes on - is a code stored?

I am not sure but I do believe I have the BOSCH Motronic 1.3 - but havent confirmed that yet... I am guessing as it is a 1991 325i..

I understand if the stomp test does not work - it may be the TPS - but I tried this on 2 vehicles (my son's IX and mine) and I get nothing..

Damn..

May have answered all of my own questions..

Either I am doing it wrong or I may have a faulty TPS?

Comment

I was thinking the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by rmdashrf View Post
        I was thinking the latter.
        a faulty TPS then..? (not the former.. but the latter - the second choice)

I have been reading about this on the different forums (and pelican) but don't really have any idle symptoms.. It doesn't "hunt" up and down, gas mileage is good - doesn't run rich,

I have read two suggestions - to "start car and move the throttle from idle to wide open if it hicup's before reving up then your tps is most likely out" and this one from R3V recently..

"Three pins on the TPS. Check continuity between center pin and outside pin. One outside pin should be a dead short when at idle, the other should be dead short when WOT, anywhere in between, it should be open (as if the sensor was unplugged)."

I suppose I should pull the Bentley..

Comment

There is a possibility that someone swapped in an early ECU that doesn't stomp.
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
            There is a possibility that someone swapped in an early ECU that doesn't stomp.

Ok

If I pull the serial # from the ECU - can we tell (what year) from that?

Comment

Here's the stomp test DIY for anyone searching and arriving here:

Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Working...
              X