what to do with blown m20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to do with blown m20

So the motor I was supposed to be getting for my car is officially r3v'd. 130k m20b25 that ran peferctly before oil starvation destroyed the bearings and crank. Cylinder walls had lots of visible crosshatch, no ridge. Needless to say I was kinda upset to lose such a nice motor.

So, I have this boat anchor and dont know what to do with it. I think I'll be getting a 323i head for my eta, but Im not sure if I want to keep running the stock 2.7 bottom end. Pending an oil pressure test I have no reason to believe there are any faults with my motor though.

Should I start building a 2.7 out of the b25 or just try to machine the crank, and the block and rebuild a 2.5?
    Old and improved:

coffee table

Originally posted by vlad
    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

I would part out anything good on the blown motor, ie- head, etc. At least recoup some losses. Then I would find the most interesting way of getting rid of the carcass as possible. I.e- push it out of the back of a pickup at 50mph, then leave it where it lands.... hahaha I really dont know what to do.
      01 325Ci
      87 325iS w/ M30B35 swap

Comment

you don't want to machine a BMW crank, you won't be able to get them hardened like they are from the factory and it won't last nearly as long.

in your situation, I'd go with a 323i head. It would be much cheaper/simpler, and if your 2.7 bottom end ever goes, you can always get another one cheap, plus you'll have bragging rights on the highest mileage stroker ever :D
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

turn the internals into modern art...

i used the pistons as ashtrays and teh crankand rods as a scupture type thing(conversation piece)... i also made a lil guy out of the valves and spring...

so i was bored...
          e30sport.net
          '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
          '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
          '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Well, I'll keep my motor going, find out if the block is even any good and have it around for a spare. Maybe down the road I'll try a real 2.7, but i'll keep my setup for now.
            Old and improved:

Comment

yeah, gonna make the crank into a lamp.... I think that will look awesome.

Mike Fritz

Comment

Working...
              X