No oil pressure - ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No oil pressure - ideas?

Hey guys, just finished putting a "new" motor in my car. I replaced most of the gaskets and seals, minus head gasket, new main and rod bearings, all of which checked out with plastigauge, etc. so I have no reason to believe it's a bad motor. To prime the oil system, my dad used an oil pump setup he already had to pump a quart of oil in through the hole where the oil pressure switch goes - so the oil light in the car isn't doing anything at the moment. While pumping in oil, the gauge we had set up was reading 40psi. Also added 4qts through the oil fill cap.

So we go to start it up, and it starts right up the first try after building fuel pressure. Idles nicely, but no oil pressure reading on the gauge (zero). My dad is kind of baffled, and this is totally over my head so I've got nothin to offer.

Ideas? Maybe there's something obvious we're missing? Or is there something that could be wrong internally? We definitely put the shaft back in, I changed the o ring on the oil pump cover, but I can't imagine anything I did there could be part of the problem, maybe I'm wrong about that? Dad is thinking maybe the oil pressure relief valve might be stuck open? Didn't rev the motor, maybe ran it 20-30 seconds total (I think). Not long at all.

Fixed the problem. The shaft wasn't quite engaged properly. Apparently it has room to move up/down about 1/2" or so, and I guess when it's all the way up, it doesn't engage the pump. Lowered the shaft down where it's supposed to be, and problem is solved.

Comment

Working...
    X