No announcement yet.

Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering is the last thing between us and four wheels on the ground, so we decided to get it done.

New steering linkage test fitted. Works perfect. No binding.

Spline shafts on rack and column needed rework to accommodate E46 linkage end bolts. Not difficult, just some time with a rat tail file. The shafts are hardened steel so it's not fast going. Takes patience.

Final bolts in place, loctite and torqued.

We adjusted the steering quick release mounting on the column splines to dead center and remounted the wheel.

That's takes care of everything between us and getting back on 4 wheels. Drum roll please .........

Suspension definitely has more torsional rigidity with the cage. One jack stand keeps both wheels well off the floor. :devil:

Finally, back in the sunlight!

Not too much longer and we'll be dropping in the built and balanced turbo stroker. Remember this? :devil:

Last edited by dvallis; 11-03-2017, 04:08 PM.
    "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
    2002 E39 M5

Comment

Steering linkage seems short.

Comment

You have exceed your stupid comment quota. Please exit Das Beast.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Yes, Sir. Your call. Keep up the nonsense with this scrap.

Comment

Spent today sorting all the electrical bits, scavenging needed connectors, figuring out what we keep. I'll have a lot of good electrical parts for sale when the build is done.

We changed the dash plan from mostly steam gauges to digital. Here's the 1/8" NPT AIM pressure sensor installed in the oil sandwich plate.

Got the engine harness straightened out. Found all the associated bits. Pulse sensor was a mystery until we found it on the old plug harness in a box.

Pulled everything out of boxes. Sorted everything. Reorganized the entire rack. All this is going back on the car. At least it's organized. :devil:

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
              Not too much longer and we'll be dropping in the built and balanced turbo stroker. Remember this? :devil:

not going to lie I completely forgot this was going to be boosted and I check this thread every weekend haha. looking forward to further progress
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Thanks man. I'm looking forward to further progress as well. Sometimes it seems to go sloooowwwww. Obi Wan says I'm impatient. :devil:
                Last edited by dvallis; 11-05-2017, 08:50 PM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Paint ......... Again

Looking into racing livery tonight. Remember, this is the look we're going for.

I have zero experience in laying vinyl. Massive Lee was pretty helpful in keeping me from going down a rat hole. Apparently, just printing out the figures below on vinyl and trying to apply/cut the stripes will be a massive disaster. (pun intended) Lee recommends painting on the stripes instead. He will sell you the rest of the full size vinyl decals. BTW, he does pretty much anything, not just Warsteiner.

So that leads us to the obvious question: What color are the stripes? This has been addressed before here and on S14.net, but it might help someone to repeat it.

BMW OEM paint in the 1980's and 1990s was BASF Glasurit brand. Paint codes I found for the M stripes are:

GLASURIT BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE 5002 RENNSPORT HELLBLAU, STOCK # 504271
                  GLASURIT BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE 4000 RENNSPORT BLAUVIOLETT, STOCK # 107513
                  GLASURIT BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE 353 RENNSPORT ROT, STOCK # 107409

The shop I used for all the body work carries BASF Glasurit, so they should be able to help me out. Will get it mixed as a single stage and have a professional shoot the stripes in a booth. Rob would FREAK OUT if we tried to do that in the garage. :devil:

If you don't have a Glasurit distributor locally, colors codes are below.

Pantone
                  Blue: Pantone Process Blue
                  Purple: Pantone 268
                  Red: Pantone Warm Red

RGB
                  Blue: 0 138 201 (Hex: 008AC9)
                  Purple: 43 17 90 (Hex: 2B115A)
                  Red: 241 26 34 (Hex: F11A22)
                  Last edited by dvallis; 11-06-2017, 08:04 PM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

You can rotate the whole housing 180 degrees to make the filter face the front of the car for easier oil changes.

Shouldn't interfere with anything since you have no AC.

E30 M3 S14 filters also fit and are shorter in height.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

You could also simplify by ditching the stock oil distribution block and just use a sandwich plate that has oil cooler ports and 1/8 NPT ports.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                        You could also simplify by ditching the stock oil distribution block and just use a sandwich plate that has oil cooler ports and 1/8 NPT ports.

Good idea. Do you have an example of one of those?

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I run the Mishimoto sandwich plate, without a thermostat. It has 2x M22 ports (can adapt to AN-10 like I run, or run metric), and 2x 1/8 NPT ports. They also make it with a thermostat (and 2 different temperature options). Mocal is also popular for thermostatic sandwich plates, however I am not sure that theirs have any 1/8 NPT ports for gauges. Probably easy to drill and tap those.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

So this M stripe paint is turning out to be real a pain in the ass. Glasurit paint is stupid damn expensive. Three pints, reducer and hardener would cost $800. Ugh.

Fortunately, BASF also makes a cheaper Limco brand. Unfortunately, the paint shop doesn't talk RGB, Pantone or anything else for matching. Basically, they need to know "How much of what Limco color code do I put in the bucket to mix?"

I accessed the Glasurit paint tool and figured out their exact mixing formulas for each color. There might be an online Limco tool to convert it. Will call the Texas BASF Rep tomorrow.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Electrical preview. We're going to run everything through conduit.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Started to put some body work back on. Das Beast is beginning to look like a car again, not a project in someone's garage.

Those looking closely will realize I need new tail lights. We've got a set of perfect late model tail lights in the shop. PM me if you have a set of early tail lights without cracks to trade.

Last edited by dvallis; 11-07-2017, 08:25 PM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X