Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil cap leak, source for replacement seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I swear I have seen talk about this issue on here before, but I'll be damned if I can find anything here or on Google now that I need the info. Please be gentle, I searched.

My oil cap appears to be seeping some oil that is getting on my valve cover, looked and sure enough the seal is hard and feeling very much perished. Realoem indicates the seal is not available separately, but the rest of the cap is in nice shape. I also read that the non-OEM caps can present problems, which doesn't shock me.

tl;dr: Are there any sources for oil cap seals or do we just have to buy a whole new cap from BMW? Any other options?

Thanks!
    sigpic
    1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

buy a new cap - 10 bucks maybe?
    or rip your existing gasket off and go "in search of" at your local small hardware store

Comment

Yeah, I bought a new cap and just swapped the old seal for a new one. Ultimately, the springs on the old cap were too worn out so I used the new seal with the new cap.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by jdt10768 View Post
        buy a new cap - 10 bucks maybe?
        or rip your existing gasket off and go "in search of" at your local small hardware store

Are they really that cheap? I'd spend $10 in gas just to get to a hardware store that *might* have stuff like that. I was expecting it to be a lot more.

You know my doctor, right? Dr. Vinny Boombatz?
        sigpic

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Febi-branded oil cap is $2.56 at RMEuropean. PN 11121716993

Husker BMW (now called BMW Direct Parts) has the OE BMW cap for $6.74
          - Darrell

2001 BMW M5
          1990 BMW 325is - Build Thread

Comment

ha! I was just coming here to ask if you all would trust a Feb cap, I found them at my local Euro parts wholesaler for under $3/each. Its the old school round cap too which I prefer over the later square ones.

Hell, even ECS has the same Febi cap for ~$3.50 SHIPPED, and they're always kinda expensive.

I don't trust Febi for everything anymore, but I think I'll be ok with their oil cap. My works-on-E30s-for-a-living buddy seems to agree. Thanks everyone.
            sigpic

Comment

I did the same. I'm not a huge fan of Febi, but how badly could they screw up an oil cap? Haha.

Worst case, I'll throw it away and spend $7 on an OE cap. Or just replace it with a dress sock. [emoji6]
              - Darrell

2001 BMW M5
              1990 BMW 325is - Build Thread

Comment

And it seems like the legit places stock it, retail and wholesale. And yeah, for $3.39 shipped from ECS I'll take the gamble, like you said I'll go OEM if it really somehow sucks.

I saw that dress sock thing too lol wtf
                sigpic

Comment

a pair of socks might cost more than a new oil cap,
                  AND you'll have oil all over your engine bay, smh

Comment

Seriously, at less than $3.50 shipped I am confident I got the cap for less than a pair of dress socks, even a pair from TJ Maxx or Ross. :)
                    sigpic

Comment

Do not buy Febi cap. I bought a new Febi oil cap last time and it rattle. You can hear the rattle if you shake it. It's $3 for a reason. The gas cap seal from (e34, e30, e36) and oil cap seal are the same. I have used e36 gas cap seal on my e30 oil cap and fit perfectly.
                      Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

genuine ones are like $8...
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

buy the oem one for 8$. its better than having to order another if the febi fails.

Comment

Working...
                          X