M20 Valve Adjustment DIY Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
    I didn't say they would just that they are known to, I have replaced a couple heads from it in the past. For $20 in bolts I wouldn't gamble on it.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Few things:

1. No need to remove the spark plugs, turning the crank bolt with spark plugs in is really not that much effort where taking the time to remove the spark plugs is worth it.

2. Your video notes that turning the rear wheels only works without an LSD. Its actually the other way around. With an LSD, either of the wheels you turn will turn your drivetrain, but without an LSD only the wheel with the least traction will turn.

You can still use this trick without an LSD, the only difference is that you would only jack up one rear corner of the car instead of both corners. The wheel up in the air would turn the drivetrain.

3. In the video you talk about the rear wheel method, then the crank bolt, without noting that when doing the crankbolt method, the car should be in neutral.

Great job on the video overall, I really enjoyed the video and voice quality.

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
      OP, you should replace your head bolts, the old hex ones were know to break and wipeout the head.
      Unless doing a full headgasket change, replacing the headbolts is a bad idea.

Even if you replace them one by one and go in sequential order, you risk doing more damage by releasing and reapplying the pressure on the head.
      Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
        Few things:

1. No need to remove the spark plugs, turning the crank bolt with spark plugs in is really not that much effort where taking the time to remove the spark plugs is worth it.

2. Your video notes that turning the rear wheels only works without an LSD. Its actually the other way around. With an LSD, either of the wheels you turn will turn your drivetrain, but without an LSD only the wheel with the least traction will turn.

You can still use this trick without an LSD, the only difference is that you would only jack up one rear corner of the car instead of both corners. The wheel up in the air would turn the drivetrain.

3. In the video you talk about the rear wheel method, then the crank bolt, without noting that when doing the crankbolt method, the car should be in neutral.

Great job on the video overall, I really enjoyed the video and voice quality.

Unless doing a full headgasket change, replacing the headbolts is a bad idea.

Even if you replace them one by one and go in sequential order, you risk doing more damage by releasing and reapplying the pressure on the head.
        thanks for adding your tips!
        Transaction Feedback!

Comment

who wants an m30 valve adjusting video?
          Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Working...
          X