Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turned car on after Timing belt change.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turned car on after Timing belt change.....

Initially it started up just fine and ran. I was still in the process of bleeding the coolant so I had the engine running. After serveral start ups it now officially sounds fucking terrible. It sounds like a hammer at times. It sounds like what I would think would be a skipped tooth on the TB. But why didn't it make that sound immeadiatly upon start up>? I didn't hear the loudness until maybe the 4th start up and run. Each time I only ran for about 30 seconds

trying to figure out if I just grenade my engine. It sounds so damn loud its cringe inducing. I had everything (TDC and Crank) lined up perfectly and rechecked several times before buttoning it up. Not sure what to do now.......... any tips?\

ok. its sounds like this one actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBN1b386_Vs but pretty much on every single stroke somehow.
    Last edited by BaltimoreBimmer; 08-14-2016, 03:04 PM.

Did you get the belt tensioned all the way?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
      Did you get the belt tensioned all the way?
      yes, I followed the procedure outlined in the bently to the T. Including torqueing all bolts

Comment

It does sound like there is a problem with the tensioner.

Comment

Can you elaborate on how you think that is the cause of the problem?

edit: video of my car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i69AuS0QLj4

took off the valve cover and didn't see anything immediately broken... so you say my best bet is to rip it down again and check the tension on the TB?? How would that create what I am hearing now?
          Last edited by BaltimoreBimmer; 08-14-2016, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I've had a tensioner loosen up a few seconds after starting (or my dumbass did not torque down) and the tensioner made a loud knocking sound. The force of the engine running was compressing the tensioner spring, loosening the belt. The spring would then push back, tightening the belt. This caused the tensioner to sway violently side to side and the tensioner was hammering the tensioner pin into the water pump making what I thought for sure was piston/valve love making noises. I got lucky and just had to torque the tensioner again with locktite this time, no timing, valve issues.

Comment

Originally posted by RobDog View Post
              I've had a tensioner loosen up a few seconds after starting (or my dumbass did not torque down) and the tensioner made a loud knocking sound. The force of the engine running was compressing the tensioner spring, loosening the belt. The spring would then push back, tightening the belt. This caused the tensioner to sway violently side to side and the tensioner was hammering the tensioner pin into the water pump making what I thought for sure was piston/valve love making noises. I got lucky and just had to torque the tensioner again with locktite this time, no timing, valve issues.
              Gotcha, tanks for the input. That makes sense to me. My noise is strange and difficult to pin point. It does almost sound like it's from the front.

ok, just went out and looked under with a flashlight while it was on and almost shit my pants. The water pump pulley was loose and basically cock eyed. I have no idea how I forgot to tighten those 4 10 mm bolts....but that's most likely the source of the noise/

This makes me question everything though... effffffffffff

Comment

ahhh, the road to true enlightenment...

We've all done it, we all say we'll slow down, and eventually, you do-
                and also, eventually you get some sort of second sense, at a point, and go back and
                "sure enough, yup, I didn't tighten the 2 in back", and you fix it.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                X