Bad ICV? No start issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad ICV? No start issues

Yesterday my car sputtered and died while driving in the city. Tried replacing the fuel pump but still no start. Timing belt, rotor cap, distributor, spark plugs, and a bunch of other parts are new. I checked the ICV and the valve was opening and closing easily with no spring action. Plus it was vibrating and buzzing while my car was on the on position.

TL;DR - Would a bad ICV cause my E30 not to start?
    1987 325 Turbo

Did you check your fuel pump relay? Tueprn the ignition on and listen to see if your fuel pump is running.

Comment

Bad ICV wouldn't cause the car to not start, though it would idle badly.

A couple of simple low effort checks before you start pulling stuff apart:

Pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and crank the engine, if you see fuel coming out of that vacuum line then the FPR has failed and your engine is flooding from unmetered fuel being directly injected into the inlet manifold.

If the FPR checks out okay.

Loosen the rubber intake elbow and fire some engine start into the intake, refit loosely refit the rubber elbow open the throttle and crank the engine. If the engine tries to start you know the problem lies in the fuel delivery or metering system.

If it doesn't then it's either ignition or engine management and further tests need to be performed to verify those systems.

Comment

Check your crank position sensor

Comment

Not sure if it helps but I think it might be your fuel pressure regulator or a clogged fuel filter. I'm just saying from past experience. Good luck!

Comment

I'm going to try the relay off my brothers car then I'll move on to fuel filter and regulator. I had just swapped the filter not long ago.
            1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Does it start if you open the throttle a bit?

the ICV can cause a non start, but usually it will fire but sputter and die immediately. If it still won't run with the throttle opened manually, it's probably not the ICV.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                Does it start if you open the throttle a bit?

the ICV can cause a non start, but usually it will fire but sputter and die immediately. If it still won't run with the throttle opened manually, it's probably not the ICV.
                It does not start with the throttle open. I also tried starting fluid and nothing. Cleaned the CPS and also no go.

Gas doesn't come out of the FPR when I crank. I also don't get any error codes with the stomp test. I had just filled up the gas tank too if that helps.
                1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by iso_hi View Post
                  It does not start with the throttle open. I also tried starting fluid and nothing. Cleaned the CPS and also no go.

Gas doesn't come out of the FPR when I crank. I also don't get any error codes with the stomp test. I had just filled up the gas tank too if that helps.
                  Sounds like you got a fuel problem. Check that relay.
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

If you're not getting a startup with starting fluid then you have no spark at the plugs. The engine won't run with starting fluid but it will fire up for a few seconds.

I'd suspect the CPS has gone south or maybe the wires have chafed on something or the plug is not correctly connected - follow and inspect the CPS wire back to the plug. If all is well, test the CPS resistance:

Have you disconnected the fuel delivery line to the injection rail and cranked the engine to ensure you're getting fuel ? Though if the CPS is dead then the pump won't run.

Comment

pull a plug wire and put a new plug in it. Rest it on top of the valve cover and have someone check for spark while you crank the engine. Then you'll know for sure there's no spark although it seems like that has already been determined.
                      No spark means a bad sensor, wires or coil died.

Comment

pull a plug wire and put a new plug in it. Rest it on top of the valve cover and have someone check for spark while you crank the engine. Then you'll know for sure there's no spark although it seems like that has already been determined.
                        No spark means a bad sensor, wires or coil died.

Comment

I was moving some relays around (main, fuel, o2) and when I swapped my fuel and main relay the CEL would go away in the second key position and the ICV would also stop buzzing. The car still didn't start.

Are all three of those relays the same or do I have to specifically get a fuel pump relay, main relay, etc?
                          1987 325 Turbo

Comment

SOLVED: It was the CPS.
                            1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                            X