Can someone confirm this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone confirm this

Ok so I've been having idle issues with my 1990 e30 325i.. so I took it to a shop and they said my ICV was the problem.. sooo long story short I ordered 3 ICVs all from different vendors on eBay and they all didn't work.. they all had this problem with the valve on engaging.. if someone can please confirm this is actually what our ICVs should do that would be great..
    Here's the vid

The first ICV in the video came off from the M40, the second one is faulty ICV came off from the M20 engine. The flap loses its tension to retract. When the ...

Is it supposed to do what the first ICV is doing in the video or is the second ICV normal or actually faulty??
    Thanks
    sigpic

The one on the left is 'mechanically' working fine, the one on the right looks like it's sticking.

If you hold the valve body in your hand and rotate it quickly you should hear the spindle valve clacking freely.

This doesn't mean the left valve electronics are operating correctly though.

Edit: Take a look at this, some useful info here - http://www.verrill.com/car/e30_idlefaq.shtml
    Last edited by Seawolf; 11-06-2016, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post
      The one on the left is 'mechanically' working fine, the one on the right looks like it's sticking.

If you hold the valve body in your hand and rotate it quickly you should hear the spindle valve clacking freely.

This doesn't mean the left valve electronics are operating correctly though.

Edit: Take a look at this, some useful info here - http://www.verrill.com/car/e30_idlefaq.shtml
      Hey thanks for the response.. so after some further testing I noticed my ICV wasn't buzzing while I turn the key (not turning the engine on). So reading the link you sent me tells me I'm not getting current to my ICV and might have a bad ICM (Idle control Module).. so after further reading and taking my glove box off I can't find a ICM on my car.. I have no black, green, or black with green strip next to my DME.. I'm puzzled

Here's a pic
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

On 1988 onward cars the ICM is integral with the DME. You can pull your electrical troubleshooting manual from this link: http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/

I don't see a 1990 is manual listed so looking at the 1990 convertible manual (and assuming they won't be wildly different)..

..section 1360-7 (page 48) shows the Idle Control Actuator in the top right corner. Pin 2 receives power from the injection harness, the injectors are permanently powered in start/run and grounded by the dme to switch them on. So if your engine runs at all you are getting power to the injection circuit.

The ICA power line runs through pin 5 of the C191 plug (round plug under the inlet manifold), I'd check that and splice S120 for 12v first. That C191 plug has a record for rotting.

You may find that this is just a bad connection in that plug, if so just bypass the plug to test though you should consider replacing the plug with another weatherproof connector. If 1 wire is bad then it's highly likely that the others are compromised. C191 connects your injectors, temp sensor/sender to the dme, if it's dodgy it can start causing all kinds of reliability problems.
        Last edited by Seawolf; 11-08-2016, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Other possibilities for the ICV not working could be a bad idle switch in the TPS, a misadjusted TPS, a bad engine harness, or a bad DME.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post
            On 1988 onward cars the ICM is integral with the DME. You can pull your electrical troubleshooting manual from this link: http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/

I don't see a 1990 is manual listed so looking at the 1990 convertible manual (and assuming they won't be wildly different)..

..section 1360-7 (page 48) shows the Idle Control Actuator in the top right corner. Pin 2 receives power from the injection harness, the injectors are permanently powered in start/run and grounded by the dme to switch them on. So if your engine runs at all you are getting power to the injection circuit.

The ICA power line runs through pin 5 of the C191 plug (round plug under the inlet manifold), I'd check that and splice S120 for 12v first. That C191 plug has a record for rotting.

You may find that this is just a bad connection in that plug, if so just bypass the plug to test though you should consider replacing the plug with another weatherproof connector. If 1 wire is bad then it's highly likely that the others are compromised. C191 connects your injectors, temp sensor/sender to the dme, if it's dodgy it can start causing all kinds of reliability problems.
            For 1990, go to 1988 as that was when the change for late models was made (they carry to the newer models, and first year manuals are more comprehensive). The ICV does not go through the c191. C191 housed the blue 2 wire CTS for the ECU, single wire brown CTS for the cluster gauge, two B+ for the injectors (bank 1&2) and 6 grounds that the ECU uses to energize the injectors. They are a common failure point and we replace them often.

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
            Other possibilities for the ICV not working could be a bad idle switch in the TPS, a misadjusted TPS, a bad engine harness, or a bad DME.
            You have me intrigued. I was under the impression the ICV moves with throttle, was not aware it went dead when the idle switch is open. BTW, glad to see you posting, Jim, hope this post finds you well - your posts are a wealth of knowledge for the e30 community.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
            X