My 20w50 oil change review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 20w50 oil change review

I know everyone LOVES talking about oil, so I thought I'd provide my impressions of a recent change from 10w40 Motul Full Synthetic to 20w50 Valvoline VR1 (w/ detergents) Full Synthetic.

First, I was amazed how simple it is to change the oil on our cars - I was a little worried about the oil filter location, but it's actually in a pretty ideal spot. You see, I drained the oil first and put the bucket beneath the oil pan. Once the oil was fully drained, I moved on to the oil filter but totally forgot to address the location of the bucket. To my delight, the oil filter drained right into the bucket thanks to its proximity to the pan drain plug. Smart design, BMW!

Now, on to the oil.

I notice absolutely no difference in performance, start up, or valve noise.

Thanks for reading!

- Sail boat
    Last edited by Sail Boat; 05-24-2017, 08:50 AM.
    1991 325i 4 dr Euro Spec, 5 Speed, 4.10 LSD, Slicktop

Haha nice.

Not saying oil couldn't make a difference, but I think often what people notice as less valvetrain noise or whatever is actually the result of having the oil coat the inside of the engine from top to bottom as it is filled for the first time from the top. That first startup after a new oil change is always smooooth, but not because the oil is better or anything.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

You sir just made me laugh.
      Thank you!

I use LiquiMoly 5w40 and have almost no valve ticking. Just some much quieter injectors and carefully adjusted rocker eccentrics.

Comment

I'm no pro but from what everyone else, a whole lot smarter on this site has taught me, I stick with 20w50 for the M20. All the time, every time. Higher ZDDP and zinc contents are required to keep the engine healthy.

That being said, VR1 is really tough to get in Canada and generally any full synthetic 20w50 is very difficult to get here. As such, I order Amsoil ZROD 20w50 in my M20. It's a little pricey, but I can get it shipped to my door and the M20 loves this stuff.

If I was in the states I'd stick with the 20w50 (with detergents) full synthetic VR1.

Cheers!
        2016 F-150
        1987 Royalblau 325es B25 turbocharged

Build thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=405594

Comment

Originally posted by E30-Ellerman View Post
          I'm no pro but from what everyone else, a whole lot smarter on this site has taught me, I stick with 20w50 for the M20. All the time, every time. Higher ZDDP and zinc contents are required to keep the engine healthy.

That being said, VR1 is really tough to get in Canada and generally any full synthetic 20w50 is very difficult to get here. As such, I order Amsoil ZROD 20w50 in my M20. It's a little pricey, but I can get it shipped to my door and the M20 loves this stuff.

If I was in the states I'd stick with the 20w50 (with detergents) full synthetic VR1.

Cheers!
          Mobil 1 15w50 has plenty of zinc and works well in an m20, and Walmart has the 5qt jug here in the states for ~$24. We used it in the race cars for some time before switching to LiquiMoly 10w60.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Mobil 1 15w50 has plenty of zinc and works well in an m20, and Walmart has the 5qt jug here in the states for ~$24. We used it in the race cars for some time before switching to LiquiMoly 10w60.
            Whoa that's cheap! A few local M20 guys go across the border for the 15w50, I'm like 15 minutes to the border and probably 30-45 minutes to the closest Walmart in the states, might have to consider popping over the border and buying 4-5 jugs at a time.

That being said, current credit card exchange rate is like 40% so that $25 bottle costs me $45.
            2016 F-150
            1987 Royalblau 325es B25 turbocharged

Build thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=405594

Comment

Originally posted by E30-Ellerman View Post
              Whoa that's cheap! A few local M20 guys go across the border for the 15w50, I'm like 15 minutes to the border and probably 30-45 minutes to the closest Walmart in the states, might have to consider popping over the border and buying 4-5 jugs at a time.

That being said, current credit card exchange rate is like 40% so that $25 bottle costs me $45.
              Yeah, Advance and the like stores usually charge $38 for it.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
              X