Solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved

I have been having intermittent issue with a small misfire. As seen here.

Anywho, my e30 died when putting the clutch in slowing for a red light. Could not get it to start again. (Which is very unusual as this has never happen with the thirty)

Finally a friend from work saw me dead in the water and we pushed it to the side of the road. Eventually decided to roll start it. Made it the rest of the way home.

Took the throttle body apart and cleaned the TPS and made sure to seal everything back really well.

She started! Sadly the idle was very up and down. Slight smoke from the exhaust and my "Engine Oil" light is on, the check panel one. There is plenty of oil, although it looks dirty.

I will be running a compression test hopefully this week. Now driving a loaner car :/

Anyone have this issue before?

--------- For the idle TPS was bad.
    Last edited by HerbE30; 06-27-2017, 07:54 AM.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

The check panel "OIL" light is for oil level, not pressure. It's a flaky system when it does work.

Is this an eta or a "I" motor?

The E30 collection:
    1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
    1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
    1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
    1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
    1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
    1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
    1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
    2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
    2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Up and down idle as well as the oil light can occur after the battery is disconnected. Both will fix themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The idle can also indicate a big air leak, which makes starting difficult as well.

Fondled your bellows recently?

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Sometimes if I disconnect my battery, I will have an oscillating idle and an oil, as you described. I would start off by checking your fuel pressure and FPR.
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

@101 - It is an I series engine.

The battery has been disconnected recently. I've noticed that the idle will have to adapt, was unaware the oil light could also happen.

@TobyB - Which bellow?? haha.

I'll see if I can find an oil and fuel pressure tester soon. Thanks for the response wizards!
            20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Intake bellows or boot.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture-55ce065830731.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	7190993

If it's original, it's probably cracked somewhere. Ours split in half when we pulled on it. This intake area has all kinds of fittings and hose clamps and gaskets where air leaks can happen. Just check all of it.

Comment

I've checked and put silicon around any suspect areas when I got the car.

I found my issue. Rotor button is burned pretty bad. The distributor post are also toast. Looks like I'll doing a timing belt as I've guessed it's retarded itself. Explains the misfire. It hasn't overheated though. Think I'm safe to go through this without doing internal bearings and valve job?
                20% Accurate

Comment

Sounds like you need a good baseline tune up.

None of that should have affected the valve timing or timing belt (although you should just change it if it hasn't been done and or you don't have paperwork on it).

Ignition timing is controlled by the DME.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                    Sounds like you need a good baseline tune up.

None of that should have affected the valve timing or timing belt (although you should just change it if it hasn't been done and or you don't have paperwork on it).

Ignition timing is controlled by the DME.
                    That is what I will probably be doing. I will probably replaced Dist/rotor/wires.

The belt was replaced in 2014 with a contitech belt. It has probably done over the suggested miles.. I may do the ignition system and a couple weeks later throw a Gates belt at it. I drive about 88 miles total a day for work.
                    20% Accurate

Comment

I replaced the rotor and distributor, along with plug&wires. Idle issue is still shot.

Previous miss is gone!! Yay! I can't even push the clutch in.

I scored a good air compressor for 10 bucks with hose and attachments, then shortly after a friend offered me a goodyear 800 psi hose for 5. Still need to buy a choke and will smoke test soon!

I'm happy there are no misses. CPS was covered in oil, maybe my idle issue?

I bought Bremi parts. Except for the plug wires, which were STI brand but with Bremi ends?
                      Last edited by HerbE30; 06-15-2017, 08:05 AM.
                      20% Accurate

Comment

Could a lot of clack on the throttle cable cause this?
                        20% Accurate

Comment

TPS has no reading at no throttle. 15.something another at WOT. Found my issue.
                          20% Accurate

Comment

Working...
                          X