No announcement yet.

Head gasket job in my future. Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I taught my Daughter how to do a proper valve job over the weekend. Head is all polished up, new seals, fresh lapped valves seal tight as a drum, adjusted, and she is ready to go back together. With any luck we should have time tonight to knock it back together. Hopefully the next post will be a youtube vid of this thing going down the road!

Comment

I skimmed this so sorry if this was stated. Make sure to suck any oil or coolant out of the head bolt bores - no need to press gunk onto the cleaned surfaces.

Comment

My daughter chased all the threads and blew the bolt holes out with compressed air before I hit the bolts with a light coat of anti seize and made sure they went into the holes nice and smooth. We then prepped both the head and block with some brake cleaner and got them squeeky clean.

I bolted the manifolds onto the head, and pulled the Exhaust studs for ease of installation. Prepped the Bitch tube and put the head on last night. My daughter got a kick out of the fact it was called a Bitch tube...she refers to it now as an RBT...Resting Bitch Tube.

Now just gotta hook everything back up and run it up to temp for that last 90 degree torque on the head bolts. I screwed up and didn't wait the full 15 minutes between initial torque and the first 90 degree torque but I don't think that will be a deal breaker. I have always torqued down heads in 3 steps anyway but never waited 15 minutes between steps.

Got the timing belt on this morning and started to button things back up. Hopefully she will be driving it by the weekend! Will keep posting updates. Thanks again everyone for your input. It has been a big help with this E30!

Comment

Working...
        X