M20 325e jumped timing and tried starting it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 325e jumped timing and tried starting it

I recently bought a 325e and the previous owner stupidly tried to turn the car on without a timing belt. I can only assume it jumped time. What would be the best solution in me fixing this car. I dont want to drop $700 on a another M20 if I dont have to.

You have to pull the head to check the valves

Comment

Originally posted by superj View Post
      You have to pull the head to check the valves
      Reset timing and run a compression test, but don't run the engine. If you do, you could burn your valves if any are indeed bent.

If any cylinders are low, pull the head and replace the damaged valve(s) and check for significant piston damage. Check the guide(s) of the bent valve(s) as well.

If any pistons have dents, you an use a punch with super light taps to gently and slowly reform the metal back into the dent, and then polish with a dremel to remove any edges. Or if you prefer, just use the dremel from the beginning.

Have the head checked for warpage and have it resurfaced if it's over the spec of 0.004" (0.1mm) then reassemble using new bolts.

I bought a parts engine that skipped timing at one point. It was repaired and ticked happily ever after.
      Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

The starter has enough power to bend the valves, unfortunately.

I can safely say that you will have bent valves, but don't be discouraged. If the engine actually ran with jumped timing, it usually results in a valve head lodged sideways in a piston. Since yours was only an attempt to turn the starter and no belt present, only the open valves would receive damage (head/cam is static).
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
        X