Weird Female Connector by Coolant Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Female Connector by Coolant Tank

Anyone know where this darn thing is supposed to be connected to? Is it even factory? Beats me. It's just been sitting there... lonely...
    Thanks.
    Attached Files
    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post
    It's just been sitting there... lonely...
    Thanks.
    put your ween in it
    cars beep boop

Comment

the only things that color and shape on e30s are part of the airbag system
      cars beep boop

Comment

Yeah, like what kronus said, yellow connectors are usually part of the SRS system.

Your car is a 90>?

Also, get rid of that shit filter :p
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

'88. Non-airbag.
          "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

My '86 non airbag also has that plug, with nothing plugged into it. I am also curious to know what it's for.
            Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
              My '86 non airbag also has that plug, with nothing plugged into it. I am also curious to know what it's for.
              Hey, I knew I couldn't be alone. Do you also have a "shit filter?"

Comment

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post
                Hey, I knew I couldn't be alone. Do you also have a "shit filter?"
                damn, don't get too butt hurt

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

LOL @ filter comments. Stock air box makes about 5whp more than that those cones and adapters, did test that on a dyno myself. :/
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'm guessing its all about conditioning the inlet air flow?
                    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    LOL @ filter comments. Stock air box makes about 5whp more than that those cones and adapters, did test that on a dyno myself. :/
                    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

The stock box has a tapered horn for flow into the square AFM opening, and it's actually a cold air intake that draws from low pressure behind the headlight.

The cone is disruptive and that filter sucks in hot engine bay air.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'm just guessing here, but could that connector be for the early-style SRS system like what E23s and similar got? Like I said, just an out-there guess, that orange connector really does scream SRS. Not a lot of info out there on early BMW SRS, not even sure SRS was optional on US E30 previous to 1990 federal passive restraint mandate.

How far back can you trace the wire? The late E30 SRS wires can be pretty easily traced back to the SRS control module location.
                        sigpic
                        1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Put a voltmeter to the leads and see if there's 12V across them.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that there was a connector under the hood that could be used to hook up a battery tender / charger to keep the vehicle charged while it was being shipped.

Or maybe it's just too early and I'm not thinking straight yet.

The E30 collection:
                          1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
                          1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
                          1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
                          1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
                          1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
                          1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
                          1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
                          2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
                          2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

I think it’s a connector left over from the brake lining sensor being deleted by someone. My ‘89 non airbag car has them and the other end of that wire goes to the brake caliper.
                            My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                            I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Working...
                            X