Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20/Steering Rack/Radiator Replacement

Hey everyone, I'm new here.
    I have a 1990 325i (MT) that got hit from the bottom and it needs a new motor, oil pump and oil pan, as well as a steering rack and radiator. I want to try to do this myself. I have never replaced an engine before so I am not sure how to go about this. I was wondering if I could do an M30 swap, and if it would be do able me, or if I should just drop in another M20. If anyone knows where I can get a good motor please let me know! For the steering rack I want to put in a E36 or Z3 rack. Any tips or tricks to go about this would be very appreciated, as I am new to this.
    Last edited by tuffode; 07-15-2020, 06:05 PM.
    1990 325i (Alpineweiss)
    1990 325i (Brilliantrot)

Instagram: alpine325i

bump
    1990 325i (Alpineweiss)
    1990 325i (Brilliantrot)

Comment

Don't bump, post more details. Pics of car, whats the damage, budget? Just by reading this I would say direct replacements will take up all your budget and then some.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

how good are you at wrenching?
        Originally posted by wholepailofwater
        Q
        :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

I’m pretty new here too but I can tell you this, there’s enough project forum and engine forum threads where people have documented engine swaps to keep you reading for the rest of the summer. Surf.

If you were my kid I’d tell you to drop in a rebuilt M20 with a manual transmission. It’s plenty fast enough for a daily driver.
          My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
          I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
            it’s slow
            ftfy
            Originally posted by wholepailofwater
            Q
            :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
              Don't bump, post more details. Pics of car, whats the damage, budget? Just by reading this I would say direct replacements will take up all your budget and then some.

I've been trying to upload pictures, but it keeps telling me "upload failed". I tried multiple formats. The engine seized because I let it run for like 30 seconds after the oil all leaked out like an idiot.

My budgets around 2-2.5k and looking around I feel like I should be able to get the parts for that much. My mechanic said it would be at least 4,000 with labor, without going into much detail, so I can only assume it would cost more than that. I also want to try to do this myself to gain experience, I have the whole summer to do it.
              1990 325i (Alpineweiss)
              1990 325i (Brilliantrot)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                how good are you at wrenching?
                Haven't really gotten a chance to wrench before as this is my first car and it hasn't needed anything since I first got it. All I have done is change the spark plugs, and changed the oil twice. But I am familiar with the engine components and how it all works.
                1990 325i (Alpineweiss)
                1990 325i (Brilliantrot)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                  ftfy
                  Haha, fair enough. It sounds like it’s fast though...
                  My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                  I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

One e30 I bought had service records and in 2010 then had a shop source and swap a m20b25 for $2500. If you have the time and a buddy or two, then you all should be able to figure out the swap yourself to save the labor costs. Its straight forward.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

If you're new, replacing what's there with good part is what your task should be. You don't know enough to start changing things from stock. Learn by getting it back to good, then go from there in the future.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                      X