Maybe it's not the water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it's not the water pump

So, just to recap, I started losing coolant from the front of my 2.5 in-line 6. The coolant appeared to be running down the right side of the water pump, between the block and the pump. Along the gasket. If it was leaking from the water pump gasket, the leak was from the upper gasket.

When I removed the old pump, the gasket looked fine. It wasn't damaged or distorted, but no gasket seal had been used on it. I carefully installed the new pump. The coolant leak was pretty strong.

Where else above the pump could be the source of a coolant leak? If I had a leak in the head gasket, could it be leaking coolant along the front of the block above the pump?

mine was leaking from the hose clamp coming from the water pump. I've never looked at the cooling system within the headgasket but I wouldn't think it would seep out the side based on my memory of the coolant passages between the block and the head
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Working...
    X