Hit pothole, engine cut out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit pothole, engine cut out

I was on the freeway and hit a pothole and the motor died only thing keeping it going was the fact it was in gear and I was going 55. I was able to coast to an exit and the car wouldn't start up the first few times, and then it was fine. Once it died when my lady slammed the passenger door. Any insight? I have an 86 325e manual. Thanks,

Josh

Did you check grounds? Ensure the battery is secured well? Crank position sensor still the appropriate spacing? Ensure none of the relays or fuses wiggled out?
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Almost definitely sounds like a grounding issue my ‘87 325es used to do it all the time, then found out it was just one of my leads on the battery that wiggles loose.
      sigpic

Comment

I breifly thought about the grounds, especially the one on the valve cover, since it's covered in oily grime from before I did the valve cover. Ill look into it. Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

Comment

Mine had something similar. The battery terminal was loose. Bumps would make the car shutter and sometimes it wouldn't start back up after parking. Cranked that sucker tight and no more problems.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaGrown View Post
            ...the car wouldn't start up the first few times, and then it was fine...
            Was the car cranking and not starting? Maybe a lose connection on the fuel pump?
            86 325e sedan
            • Magnaflow Cat-back
            • SSSquid Stage 1 Chip

Comment

Working...
            X