M20 320i Auto Redline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 320i Auto Redline

After my well overstretched accelerator throttle cable snapping and being replaced with a new one my E30 Baur now seems to have a crazy amount of acceleration at kickdown and the revs are reaching redline 7k + in no time at all...:devil:

This gives the whole car a radically different performance to what I have experienced with it before and is incredibly fun...but I’m wondering whether it is actually viable and safe for it to run like this without the possibility of causing some major damage??Is it meant to run like this?

The car is a 84 pre facelift 320i,and I am thinking that the new throttle cable may be tensioned too tight and is allowing the throttle to open up further than is intended to by not reaching the crude stop behind the throttle peddle.The throttle is however currently tensioned so that the throttle does not move at all until at least a fair bit of pressure is put on the pedal.

Am I correct in thinking that the second cable attached to the throttle is going to the transmission and triggers the correct gear depending on the throttle position?if this is the case could it be that this cable is no longer ‘in sync’ and that the kickdown downshift happens at slightly the incorrect time?

Any input from anyone far more knowledgable than me would be greatly appreciated...

There's no such thing is opening the throttle too far on a throttle body. It's a butterfly valve and full throttle is wide open. If the throttle cable was tensioned too tightly, it would be idling too high.

Sounds like your old cable was trashed enough that you lost full throttle and just gained it back. Free power!
    Build Thread

Comment

Haha..Free Power!!My favourite kind of power!

That’s kind of what I figured...open is just open,no matter how you get there right?!Im wondering why there is a stop behind the pedal though if this is he case..I guess mainly to get the tension on the cable correct so that you hit the stop at exactly the point which the throttle is fully open.

My main concern is the ease of which the engine can now hit 7k+ when kicking down.Feels great but I’m just worried that’s a bit out of spec and may do some damage...or maybe I’m just being paranoid as the car now performs so radically differently to when I purchased it and is actually as it should be!?

Comment

Working...
      X