Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to refresh and upgrade the M20. Looking for feedback on both.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you’re doing the coolant hoses then I’d imagine you’re removing the intake manifold (I know your engine is out of the car, but still). I don’t see the manifold gaskets and oil return tube o rings, and when I had everything done I had to wait a week because I forgot to order the thermostat housing gasket.

I’m not trying to be nit picky, it just sucks to forget the little things.
    My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
    I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Totally appreciate those tips. All of the above on their way from the two bimmerheads kits (head/block).

Engine remains in the car. My strategy is to replace the entire exhaust ahead of the pull so I have nice new bolts to remove when it comes time to pull. Have ireland/ebay SS catback on hand and a DEC cat on order.

Comment

I need to order a midpipe. You like the DEC over Magnafliw?
        1991 318iC
        1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

I like the price and what few reviews are out there. Will have it Tuesday and let you know.

Comment

RHD told me to use automatic trans flex plate bolts. Is this the right item at the right price?

Comment

Tooling up...

Forgot I don’t have external Torx for the new head bolts. E14 is the socket needed fyi.

Some long extensions and wobblers for the exhaust downpipe.

A few powders to try and get a nice natural alum look to the underhood bits.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3627.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	7200934Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3626.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	7200935Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3628.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	7200936Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3629.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	7200937

Comment

Well look who’s here. Fits up nicely to the a stock Sachs and weighs in at a feathery 7lb 6oz. When I get Squid to make my chip Im going to ask what can be done to stabilize or very slightly raise the idle to be sure its very dd friendly.

Name:	IMG_3633.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	7200938Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3634.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	7200939Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3636.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	7200940Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3638.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	7200941Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3641.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	7200942

Comment

Gaskets and DEC cat pipe in the house. Exhaust replacement will be this weekend.

I am getting slightly cold feet about running the extremely light RHD flywheel as this will be a daily driver. SSSquid says they'd tune for a 900-1000 rpm idle to compensate. i reached out to a few on this board who installed the RHD and got generally positive feedback - interested to hear from anyone else who has installed it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

My RHD flywheel came last week. It is a pretty piece.

Having run light flywheels on other cars I've got no fear.

Ordered the DEC cats today after seeing your pics.
                    1991 318iC
                    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

I've lightened flywheels on cars before (let's say ~18>12lbs) but never something below 7.5lbs. I'm not at all worried about the actual driving part but a wonky, searching and racecar idle will bother me. What I love about the E30 is its ability to be a wife-friendly luxury sedan one moment and a lot of fun the next.

Presuming no nut-apocalypse I'll update my experience on the DEC this weekend. One thing to note is it doesn't come with any gaskets (seller on Amazon admitted the pic is wrong). I am not expecting it to be 100% perfect fit. Possible welding according to one reviewed on Amazon.

Comment

I saw that review, misaligned bracket. Hopefully they got is sorted out.
                        1991 318iC
                        1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

I wouldn’t call it fun but all six downpipe to manifold nuts are off. Takeaway: you cant have enough combos of 14mm (for some I understand it will be 15mm) sockets wobbles universals extensions. The most critical clearance is at the nut to downpipe flange so I would say having the lowest profile sockets and joints. Note the difference between a universal and wobble. I did the unthinkable (gasp) and used non impact sockets with the impact once on account of it is thinner.

Name:	IMG_3851.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	7201019

Comment

Exhaust down

Name:	IMG_3858.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	7201020Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3855.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	7201021Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3856.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	7201022

Comment

Bracket at cat will need some work

Name:	IMG_3861.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	7201023Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3860.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	7201024

Comment

Exhaust is up...

Exhaust work is never fun. I suppose this wasn't the end of the world. Took a full day working alone except for ten minutes at the end where a neighbor helped me hold the muffler while I fastened it.

Lessons learned:

1. Should have bought a new rear muffler heat shield. I ended up reassembling w/o as mine was more crust than steel. Think this is the part but really don't have the appetite to drop the system again to reinstall. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...te-51481945429

2. Assemble rubber hangers to body then muffler to pre-hung hangers.

3. Fit at the catback-cat donut gaskets is fiddly, I had a leak at first then slacked, tried to re-align, tightened, metal-pounded and it seems good now.

4. I believe the muffler I removed may have been an Ansa. The ebay/IE is no louder. Which I am cool with.

Comment

Working...
                                X