Head dowel pins not matching up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head dowel pins not matching up

I'm in the middle of a 2.7i build from my 88 super ETA bottom end. I went to install the 325i (885) head today and noticed the block only had one dowel pin because it got stuck in the old head. So I grabbed one from another block and put it in the available spot on the block. After 2 tries to mate the head, the back side would not seat on the block. I noticed the dowel pin on the block is in a different spot in relation to the receiving portion on the head dowel pin spot. Both heads are 885 so I'm confused why the heads vary in pin placement. I ended up installing the head without the back side dowel pin. I'm concerned now about alignment. Exactly how important is it to have both pins installed? And if I have to remove the head again to install a pin for the back, how is this done since they don't mate up?

Thanks,
    G

they are all the same, one is between 1&2 on inlet side and the other between 5&6 on exhaust side. its probably just been distorted so doesnt go in.

yes you need to align otherwise piston to head and piston to valve clearance might be way off and......
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Ah $50 mistake! I guess the dowel pin was in crooked?
      I'm going to slightly bevel the head hole to help with mating after the new parts come in.
      Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X