Replacing Timing belt and water pump questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Timing belt and water pump questions

Hello, I'm planning on replacing my timing belt and water pump and I would like to know if the kit im going to buy has good parts, last thing I want is to buy crap parts and have things go wrong later on. I don't mind spending extra money to ensure I am receiving the good quality parts. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...x-325i-e30kit1

I have tried to look at different forums and people say Contitech is the OEM manufacturer for the timing belt and if im not mistaken Graf is a trusted brand for the water pump as well. besides that I don't know where to start learning about how I would go and start the replacements once I get them. I'd say I do fairly well when following instructions and guides, I just don't know which to follow. all recommendations and tips about doing all this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

I just recently installed the same kit, you should be good to go. Watch some youtube videos on how to replace a timing belt and water pump and that will help you along the way. You will quickly realize it is not very difficult and that it just takes a minute to get comfortable with the m20. Good Luck

Comment

Fcpeuro or blunttech and your all set.

Comment

Yes good stuff. Order a tube of Curil T. a light (not heavy) coat on paper gaskets (not shaft seals) is good insurance and helps keep gaskets in place while you install other components.

Comment

If it’s your first time and are clueless (as was I) the following worked for me

1. Dan Cronin’s you tube channel
          2. Printed this guide

3. Went to pick and pull and did most of the disassembly just to get familiar with everything on a parts car first.

Take your time - don’t listen to the people that say they can do it in 90 minutes or whatever. It’s your first time - take as much time as you need. Mine took about a month spread out over many sessions.

I didn’t find the Bentley that helpful for this. Even the R3v thread had no more pictures.

No URO parts on anything, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mc625569 View Post
            If it’s your first time and are clueless (as was I) the following worked for me

1. Dan Cronin’s you tube channel
            2. Printed this guide

3. Went to pick and pull and did most of the disassembly just to get familiar with everything on a parts car first.

Take your time - don’t listen to the people that say they can do it in 90 minutes or whatever. It’s your first time - take as much time as you need. Mine took about a month spread out over many sessions.

I didn’t find the Bentley that helpful for this. Even the R3v thread had no more pictures.

No URO parts on anything, ever.

Wow...this has gotten to be the longest timing belt job on this site...one month!

Comment

Oh yeah. My car was in pieces for a while. I routinely take 5-10 times as long to do things than most people here. But it is not my daily so I don’t rush.

Comment

Doing my water pump. Which brand is best? Which brands to avoid?
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mc625569 View Post
                  Oh yeah. My car was in pieces for a while. I routinely take 5-10 times as long to do things than most people here. But it is not my daily so I don’t rush.

Same here. I have a security camera in my garage. You can see me next to the car eating a bag of chips.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X