smoke from dipstick/catch can/oil cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoke from dipstick/catch can/oil cap

turbo m20 will list specifics after post. Got it up and running after rebuild and turbo install but noticed a lot of smoke from my catch can, also oil cap and dipstick when removed ( whitish smells like raw fuel) . Some brief searching came up as probably condensation , since it was still chilly out and had not driven car a lot figured i would put some miles on and work on the tune. so now its end of june hot out put a couple hundred miles on it runs great cruising and ok idle, runs ok for boost but i'm still working on tune for that but still have a good amount of smoke. any ideas? compression came back good , no external leaks etc.

whats in the car:
    m20 2.7 "e" bottom end with all new bearings/rings/seals etc
    arp head studs
    stock headgasket
    ebay manifold t4 external wastegate
    no name turbo 70a/r 6662
    42lb injectors
    FI tech fuel pump 6an feed and return with fuel cell (support to 600hp)
    billet fuel rail
    10mm wires with bosch cap and rotor
    msd 6al and blaster coil
    megasquirt (spectre ems pro) basically ms1
    aluminum radiator and silicone hoses, no heater core connected
    15w40 oil

Hows the AFRs? if you are pouring fuel in and running rich as i suppose it could get past the rings and then come out your dipstick.

Comment

I have a turbo M20 E30 running MS2 ... its important to get your tune worked out to where its not over rich ... seating rings with a really rich mixture can screw things up... smell your oil and make sure it does not smell like fuel.. if it does change it before you take out your bearings
      can you take a video of the blowbye? all engines have blowbye... if its excessive do a leakdown test... does teh blowbye pulse?? if it pulses it may indicate a problem on one cylinder ... you can run a compression test to pinpoint the source ...
      PM me and ill get you my number and we can text or do a phone call ...
      take care
      JAK

Comment

Originally posted by jstoll View Post
        I have a turbo M20 E30 running MS2 ... its important to get your tune worked out to where its not over rich ... seating rings with a really rich mixture can screw things up... smell your oil and make sure it does not smell like fuel.. if it does change it before you take out your bearings
        can you take a video of the blowbye? all engines have blowbye... if its excessive do a leakdown test... does teh blowbye pulse?? if it pulses it may indicate a problem on one cylinder ... you can run a compression test to pinpoint the source ...
        PM me and ill get you my number and we can text or do a phone call ...
        take care
        JAK
        the tune needs work for sure. Ill check the oil and see how it smells tomorrow when i go outside and change if needed. haven't done leakdown but compression was 170+ across the board no differences more then 2psi between cylinders, blowby does not pulse just a steady flow of smoke

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        Hows the AFRs? if you are pouring fuel in and running rich as i suppose it could get past the rings and then come out your dipstick.
        this does make sense the afrs are not perfect but, cruising between 14:1 and 15:1 idle a little richer around 13:1 and going for closer to 12:1 under boost.

Comment

I wouldn't consider that rich at all
          - AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build
          Current Project - 87 325is 2JZ Swapped with M4 DCT

Comment

Working...
          X