Any particular 2.7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any particular 2.7?

Is there an particular model 2.7 liter engine that is used for a stroker conversion? I have a line on a '86 model 2.7 engine. Can this be used as the basis for the stroker.
    1997 Porsche Carrera "S" The Mistress
    1988 BMW R100RS "Ultimate Airhead"
    1987 325is Daily driver and tracktoy with a growing list of mods.

it can, but i believe the '88 is the model of choice. you will have to add some sensors and swap over to the "i" wiring harness and ecu with the '86.

Comment

I should have been more specific. I have a '87 325is and want to build a 2.7 using an 2.7 e motor and a spare i head I already have. I just wan't sure about what year e motor I need.

Comment

if you want to do a bolt-in stroker without machining or custom pistons, you want the 88 e block. just slap your i head and accessories on it and that's pretty much it. I would probably do a refresh while you have it out (rehone cylinders, new bearings, new rings, new oil pump, etc) and replace all your hoses/vacuum fittings etc.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks nando.

Comment

You could run the e crank and e rods with the I pistons and then shave your block 2mm or more depending on what comp. ratio you are looking at running. Since the block is somewhat shortened, the timing belt becomes too long to line up properly between the crank and cam gears, resulting in timing problems. A way to correct this is to move the dowel pin on the cam gear just a hair.
            Did this conversion a few years back using the diesel crank and a hotter cam. Turned out to be a reliable and fun engine.

Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Swede-E30 View Post
              You could run the e crank and e rods with the I pistons and then shave your block 2mm or more depending on what comp. ratio you are looking at running. Since the block is somewhat shortened, the timing belt becomes too long to line up properly between the crank and cam gears, resulting in timing problems. A way to correct this is to move the dowel pin on the cam gear just a hair.
              Did this conversion a few years back using the diesel crank and a hotter cam. Turned out to be a reliable and fun engine.

Have fun.
              This is what I am looking at doing. I would imagine that an adjustable cam gear would work as well. Thanks.

Comment

Bought a 2.7 the other day. $100 and this included 6 new Bosch Platinum plugs still in the box. Took the motor straight to the shop. Work to commence shortly!

Comment

Don't run those Platinum plugs.

Stick to copper core.

Comment

I am just going to use them until I get the new motor built. I've never been a big fan of Bosch plugs. I've had better luck with NGK's over the years. Two of the old plugs (Bosch) had cracked electrodes and they were causing the rough idle as now it runs great.
                    Curious though, why not use the platinum?

Comment

Please keep posting progress!!

I have the same project in mind for this winter, just need to get the other car running first. I have a m20b25 in my e21 right now, I picked up a m20b27 from an 86e for $25.

I was planning to mix parts an deck the block or cut the head. I'm very interested in what numbers you come up to get a good compression ratio, I'm assuming you're sticking to NA. Are you planning on running a hotter cam?

My car has a plate on it, but I basically just run driver's school and autox. I think I want to go whole hog if I can with a big cam. I was wondering about interference with the pistons. I want to keep the project cost under control, and machining pistons, doesn't sound cheap.

Looks like you're about a month ahead of me so I'm real curious how things go.

Comment

Originally posted by citterly View Post
                        Please keep posting progress!!

I have the same project in mind for this winter, just need to get the other car running first. I have a m20b25 in my e21 right now, I picked up a m20b27 from an 86e for $25.

I was planning to mix parts an deck the block or cut the head. I'm very interested in what numbers you come up to get a good compression ratio, I'm assuming you're sticking to NA. Are you planning on running a hotter cam?

My car has a plate on it, but I basically just run driver's school and autox. I think I want to go whole hog if I can with a big cam. I was wondering about interference with the pistons. I want to keep the project cost under control, and machining pistons, doesn't sound cheap.

Looks like you're about a month ahead of me so I'm real curious how things go.
                        \

I'll post the progress. Not much now with Christmas around the corner. First thing is getting the intake extrude honed, or deciding to go the ITB route.

Comment

Of course, I can understand the holiday being the point of focus for now....

Sounds like you're planning on some fun stuff up top as well. I'm looking forward to hearing more, I think we have similar end points in mind.
                          Happy Holidays
                          Chris

Comment

Working...
                          X