Blow through AFM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blow through AFM?

That time of year, Winter, nothing better to do than a project!

Toying around with the idea of a Vortech Supercharger (this isn't my first time doing forced induction).

Surprized i didn't find anything searching for this, but can the AFM hold up to the task of having about 8psi in it? Fuel management will be an FMU.

I'm not totally sure on the internal construction of these devices, i had mine apart briefly to fix the potentiometer, but i haven't actually dug in to it to see if boost pressure could cause a problem (maybe blow the black lid off it...? I don't care to take it apart and possibly break it! I have a bad habit of that.)

it will be fine, afms actually work pretty well with boost. you could always put it in front of the supercharger, but I think most people put it after.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

In front is the common way as far as i know (stock cars have it this way), should be much simpler to put it on the compressed side no custom mounting needed and more room to work with. Plus i can get be a ricer, do a BOV and the car not run like crap. 8)

Comment

i heard about cases where it was leaking when it was put down downstream of turbo/sc.

on m20 i would replace it with compatibile m30 unit, mount in front of the sc, tune by adjusting spring tension and disconnect tps wot signal, put larger injectors and then you can essentially run low boost setup on stock ECU.

Comment

I see, i'll look at that option, i like the FMU route, i've used one and it worked well. I mainly want the AFM blow through for clearance issues, i plan putting it where the A/C Compressor is, i'd have to run quite a bit of extra pipe and bends to make it work properly it looks like.

Comment

TCD's turbo kit has the AFM before the turbo I believe and they use a rising rate FPR which seems to work well for them in their forced induction route.

Will
            RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
            Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
            DaveCN = Old Man
            My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
            If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist View Post
              TCD's turbo kit has the AFM before the turbo I believe and they use a rising rate FPR which seems to work well for them in their forced induction route.

Will
              I'm looking at the Turbo option as well. Who are TCD?
              1997 Porsche Carrera "S" The Mistress
              1988 BMW R100RS "Ultimate Airhead"
              1987 325is Daily driver and tracktoy with a growing list of mods.

Comment

Working...
              X