Just my luck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just my luck...

So after snapping a rocker i decided to do a full top end rebuild. Ok all is well head is going in with new goodies ray ray ra. So im @ the headbolts tightening them down to 80 ft lbs like is says on e30tech turbo faq. This car is not turbo but i just wanted to use these headbolts. I get to the 2nd to last one @ 70 lb ft of torque and booom snapped bolt. Its deep in the block and im pissed as fuck. I have no idea how im going to get that out. And if it happens again im scarred that i might strip the bolt and then wont be able to take it out. Fuck why me??

80 ft/lbs seems like overkill, I thought I heard those bolts (metric blues right?) were fine at 60 ft/lbs.

Did you wipe any oil on the bolts? If you put too much oil on them it could cause them to snap, as oil is not very compressible, so if there is any dripping into the bottom of the bolt hole it could put stress on the bolt.
    sigpic

Comment

Oil on the bolts usually won't cause them to snap, however if there's oil or coolant in the holes you run a very serious risk of cracking the block or breaking the bolt.
      sigpicFormer professional wrench thrower.
      Current:
      1988 325is S52
      Former:
      2008 Sparkling Graphite M3 Sedan(victim of home ownership)
      1988 M5
      1996 328is

Comment

damn.............. i have a motor for you
        NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

Originally posted by WillisE30 View Post
          if there's oil or coolant in the holes you run a very serious risk of cracking the block or breaking the bolt.
          What he said^^

Did you clean all of the oil/coolant from the bolt holes before installing the head?

-Erik

Comment

EZ Outs

Originally posted by vlad
            Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

this is why you stick to the stock headbolts. they are just fine for an N/A motor :p

good luck getting that bitch out of there..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yeah all preped and clean etc etc etc. I did everything correctly bitch just snapped. Ah fuck for real nando ima use stock headbolts ima torque that shit to like 50 then 60 then 70 then 80 over 4 nights hopefully they wont snap lol.

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
                  Ah fuck for real nando ima use stock headbolts ima torque that shit to like 50 then 60 then 70 then 80 over 4 nights hopefully they wont snap lol.
                  Why are you not torquing the headbolts to spec? What's special about 80 ft/lb?

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by BDSax View Post
                    damn.............. i have a motor for you
                    Have you ever done a compression test on that motor by any chance?
                    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

how much u want for it billy i can always use another m20.

Comment

yeah all preped and clean etc etc etc. I did everything correctly bitch just snapped. Ah fuck for real nando ima use stock headbolts ima torque that shit to like 50 then 60 then 70 then 80 over 4 nights hopefully they wont snap lol.
                        you don't want to do that... the stock headbolts are torque to yield. i think it's 40ft-lbs and then 90 degrees of rotation.. the procedure is in the bentley tho.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Fuck why me??
                          because you are stupid for reving ur shit to 7100, its called VALVE FLOAT that shit breaks rockers

get some ARP's and you can torque that to 80

dont torque the stock headbolts to 80 ft lbs, they are stretch bolts

if you want to rev to 7100 agian, get some schrick 064 springs

Comment

My headbolts are torqued to 80 with no problems at all, but I have a stock HG and Metric blues and turbo... I would run stock head bolts all the time if I was NA. No reason to run any thing else.
                            :: PNW Crew ::
                            '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Deagle View Post
                              because you are stupid for reving ur shit to 7100
                              shut up waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles, nobody likes you.
                              NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

Working...
                              X