Pinging, SeaFoam, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinging, SeaFoam, etc.

Not knowing what is in my motor doesn't help because for all I know I could have a cam & high comp pistons... BUT

I bought a can of sea foam and put it in the gas tank last night. Someone also told me that they dumped an entire can through the intake vacuum hose port on the TB? Is that legit? I have some predetonation issues but I'm not fully convinced there is a bunch of crap in there. Could be cheap gas, bad plugs, buildup or a combo of many small things. I'd like to get rid of the pinging though.

Just so I'm not confused pinging can be from a lean condition correct? I know lean = hot but forget about pinging.... Thanks!

Seafoam should help clean some crap out, but if you have an M20, pinging is most likely the result of BAD gas... There's just not enough compression to cause predetonation using good gas. Pinging will come from running too lean also, so maybe check your fuel pressure and fuel filter. Dirty injectors could make it run too lean, so on to my next recomendation.

If you want to REALLY clean whatever is gunking your motor up, try BG44K, it is superior to everything else. $20 a can too... But you will literally feel a difference in the first couple minutes.
    '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

actually, it's best to suck it in through the hose that goes into the FPR. but I'm not really convinced it's the cure-all that everyone thinks.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

FPR? Well that would be fine since I have one plugged off so I could litterally just put a length of hose on and shove it in the can.

I have a bavauto adj fuel pressure regulator, uprated injectors that were new 50K miles ago, have run injector cleaner in the last 3 tanks and now sea foam. MAF has been upgraded to the heated wire split second unit (Mustang MAF) and a freshly cleaned & oiled K&N on the end.

Also I have that magical black box (Split Second) piggyback system on the car so the low end is turned down a little but med/high/accel is all fine. The LED lean/rich monitor (Lambda monitor) never shows lean... either right in the middle (lambda = 1) or a tad on the rich side, which I assume is because I have the nobs turned up a little. Car runs great so I assume that it's bad gas. I'll try running mid/premium next tank.

Hey is it a good idea to use that BG44K in the intake (FPR port) in paralell with the SeaFoam in the tank? I just don't want to screw anything up.... You guys sure this isn't like SNAKE OIL??

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          actually, it's best to suck it in through the hose that goes into the FPR. but I'm not really convinced it's the cure-all that everyone thinks.
          i agree, i think all that damn white smoke is just the seafoam burning in high concentration
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
          Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

replace all your ignition components first (plugs, wires, cap, rotor) Check your timing, take pictures of your plugs, and post them. Your plugs will likely tell the tale.

Comment

Plugs are in need of replacing but they are not bad. Car is running MUCH better after a can of sea foam in the gas tank and 75 miles on the odo. Only problem now is it's developed a stumble right off idle. Idle is OK, sometimes a little low (550) sometimes spot on (750). When you ever so gently ease on the throttle it's OK but if you drive normally there is a hesitation or stumble right off throttle. Litterally in the first 15% throttle it happens.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If no one gives any brilliant ideas this weekend I'll open up the manuals and reset the throttle plate back to spec (idle opening with feeler gauge) and reset the TPS if need be. Currently it seems fine only this stumble, etc. seems to have happened with the addition of the sea foam.

BTW the car does run MUCH better after this. I can't wait to dump a can through the intake :-0)

Comment

Working...
              X