adjusted valves last night....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adjusted valves last night....

Motor has ~217K on it... I'd think that if there was anything to seat it would have sat by now... I also think it could have been rebuilt about 50K ago but I have no idea.

Question is... It seems that the valves were tight. No idea when it was done last. Engine temp was about 45 degrees F and clearances between the rockers & cam was between .1mm and .15mm (.004" and .006") - about the minimum specs.

Is this normal? In 12-15K miles I'm going to replace the eccentrics & such but is it normal for the valves to tighten up rather than wear and loosten?

they wouldnt tighten. if anything, losen, so it could mean they were set with no room for expansion the first time around.
    but head internals dont wear as fast as you think. those specs are probably where the last guy set them to.

Edit: WTF am i saying? little bit of a mind fart. fixed
    Last edited by xLibelle; 03-30-2007, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Isn't that tight? It's supposed to be .006 - .008" COLD right? He was at the minimum spec if not less than that...

Comment

They can get a bit tighter as the valve seats wear allowing the valves to return to a higher position than before, but they may have just been done too tight in teh last adjustment.
        Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

whoa whoa, .006-.008"?? I'm pretty sure it's .010" to .011"!! (cold of course). measure between the eccentric and the valve stem, not between the rocker and cam face..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

0.008-0.010" is more appropriate, with the correct value being 0.010" cold. Tighter than that runs the risk of burning the valves.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              whoa whoa, .006-.008"?? I'm pretty sure it's .010" to .011"!! (cold of course). measure between the eccentric and the valve stem, not between the rocker and cam face..
              I was wrong. PO had it right. M10 is 6-8 & m20 is 11COLD although the Haynes says warm or cold and 10-12. Either way it looks like I'm wrong and the PO was right. I'll be re-adjusting the valves tomorrow morning.

Comment

Working...
              X