Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My ETA head has scratches in it, will it seal right???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ETA head has scratches in it, will it seal right???

So the t-belt broke on my ETA, and i bought a used head for it, but i dont know if this head will be good, on the mating face where it touches the head gasket there are alot of scratches that are very visible, but it doesnt catch if i run my fingernail over them. im worried that it wont seal properly if i put it on like that. ill try to get some pics of the scratches.

would any type of scratches affect how well it seals? could it be resurfaced at a machine shop?

any advice is good.

Thanks, Victor.
    sigpic

why not have it surfaced? it shouldn't cost too much. I think they can do it with the head still assembled. just make sure it's clean before you put it on.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

would it affect the compression at all?
      sigpic

Comment

probably not, but you might have coolant and oil leaks up the kazoo.. definitely not worth taking the chance!
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by vic_325 View Post
          would it affect the compression at all?
          if you had it milled, it would increase the compression slightly, but that would give you mo powah!

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            why not have it surfaced? it shouldn't cost too much. I think they can do it with the head still assembled. just make sure it's clean before you put it on.
            i was telling my dad that it can be resurfaced with the head assembled. but he dont beleive it. how does the machine shop resurface it with the valves still in?
            sigpic

Comment

You should always have a cylinder head resurfaced if its going onto a non-original bottom-end. Also make sure to check the block for trueness with a straight edge.
              '91 318is
              sigpic

Comment

i took the head to a machinist, so he can take a look at it, and he said that the scratches wont be a problem, he also checked for warpage and it was straight. so i think im just gona run it.
                sigpic

Comment

better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

Should be fine if it checks out with a knowledgeable machinist.
                    :: PNW Crew ::
                    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

ya, well i took it apart anyways to get the valves reseated.
                      i also want to throw in some dual vavle springs, but do they go in fine?
                      sigpic

Comment

may as well build it up as an i head
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

ya i could've put in the i cam, but i read it wouldnt run good unless i switch to i ecu and harness
                          sigpic

Comment

the vavle springs should fit fine, i mean you get it aparts and they don't fit put the other ones back on, no harm no foul...

Comment

put in the I cam have the head ported and change over your intake system and exhuast then call up mark d and have him make a custom chip

Comment

Working...
                              X