do i need a bigger oil cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do i need a bigger oil cooler?

i was going through my storage room and found an extra RX-7 oil cooler that i was going to put on the 914-6 until i came up with a 996 oil cooler. i already have a stock oil cooler on my 91 325i, i don't have a oil temp gauge, so i don't know what my oil temps are. i live in az, so i a always looking at ways to give more thermal reserve to my cars. is it worth it? could it hurt? i already have the oil lines (teflon centered s/s braided), an fittings, brackets are easy enough to make,so.....
    i have already removed the factory mazda thermostat and tapped and plugged the by-pass hole and tigged it in perm., the cooler will add about 2.5 qt of oil to the system if i remember right. i am looking at doing a 2.9 m-20 by next winter, so maybe i'll need it then?????
    any ideas??????
    seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

I doubt it. it's not exactly hot here, but it takes ages for my oil temp to get up to 150. even autox on a hot day, it won't get any hotter than that.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Oil temperature on an NA M20 aren't going to be a problem. The OE oil cooler is more than up to the task.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

People have removed the oil cooler without problems. I don't think you need an even bigger one. Besides, if your oil temp is flying, you have a problem other than your oil cooler.

~Zar4

Comment

ok new question....what about with an m-30 swap???
          need a bigger cooler then???
          seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

If you feel the need, use the m30's.

~Zar4

Comment

Working...
            X