Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations on Camshaft Installation

Hello people :)

I've been searching a lot on r3v for the camshaft issue.

I'm in need of a more aggressive setup for my car.

It's a 325i with headers bought from ebay, but otherwise stock. It has a "new" exhaust ( complete, without the catalyst ), since a rocker arm died on me and I had the chance to replace the old rusty one and install the headers at the same time.

The car runs very good, it gave me 164hp on a dynoday, with VERY good curves ( no bumps of any sort, actually the line was going upwards until the redline at 6200 rpm - 6100 for the first three gears and 6200 for the rest - ), and that was before installing the headers, and while having a completely rusted exhaust ( from the very front to the end ).

So far so good, and now I think its time to replace the camshaft with something that would give me an increase in power, since the headers so far are doing a great job.

I found a dealer in my country ( Greece, Europe ) for Cat Cams. I've read on the forums, that they're good and I thought I'd give them a try. I checked their webpage and actually found prices on the camshafts. ( I was pretty surprised since most dealers/tuners here don't have a good webpage, if any ). The price is 313 euros for all of them up to 293/293 ( 293/293 included ).

Which one would be best for street use according to each one's experience?

I'd like to note that rocker arms are all replaced with new ones ( when the headers were installed etc ) because I had one broken once, and I changed them all with brand new ones. Also, I dont do track days but sometimes ( not that often anymore , but it could happen a few times a week, then stop for a month or so ) I do some heavy abuse to the car cos of some very good circuits we have here ( mountains etc ). Would new ones ( aftermarket ) as well as valve springs be needed? ( I hope I get a "no" to this one lol )

Other than that, its just going to university and a bit of street racing ( ricing, lol ) here and there, nothing too serious though.

Would a 272 be a waste of money? ( thats what I've read on most threads )? Cos it has the same price with the 283 one, and I suppose the 283 would give a bigger boost. And whats with the engine management? A chip is mandatory or not needed necessarily? ( I'll definitely have it chipped after placing the camshaft, but not right after cos of lack of money - if not needed I won't )

Thanks a lot in advance for any answers :)

Cheers.

284 is a great street cam, without killing your idle. 293 would probably work fine as well, but you sacrifice more driveablility.

you will want to chip it for sure - it will run leaner.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The catcams has some radical lift for the 283. I dont see it idling or running good without a standalone. You NEED stiffer valve springs, but you might be able to get away with new stock ones.

Comment

Hm, so it would be good to order the springs as well.

Since I'm changing them, I think it would be better to get some sport ones instead of the OEM parts, just to be safer, you never know.

I don't intend to rev as high as it goes, ( cos I'll chip and put the limiter exactly where it's needed ) only to the rpms that the car will have power, I don't want to have the motor hang on high rpms just for the hell of it.

So, for about 6500-6800 ( max ), I think the rockers won't need to be changed right?

Is there anything else that I should know for this mod on the car, such as getting a filter or injectors or anything like that? Would the m30 afm+injectors swap give me anything more or I'll end up consuming more gas with no result?

Thanks for the replies :)

Comment

You are going to want a full standalone for the most power

Comment

I've got the 283 catcams with their stiffer springs, mated to a 2.7l ported eta head, 325i intake, tb, m30 afm, 19# inj, and long tube headers, and a markD chip. I have no idle issues, it sits nice at about 700rpm w/ no adjustments. I'd recommend the bigger injectors and afm, so the engine can inhale as well as it is able to exhale.

I wouldn't worry about the rockers, unless you are up there all day long.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

A Mark'D chip which is made for this setup only right? Because you got a lot of stuff there.

I actually called the guys yesterday, and they told me they can chip it as well after I put the new camshaft. They have a dyno and they can reprogramme the ecu. Thing is, it costs 400 euros. ( 550 dollars )

Which is a lot more than I can currently afford. Ill see if I can contact Mark'd cos last time I tried, all I got was an email telling me he will respond to my email but later that evening, and Im still waiting lol. No big deal though Ill try again.

e30 325 es : what were your gains from these mods?

Comment

you should replace the rockers with new stock ones at least, to really break in the cam right. they really aren't too terribly expensive and the older ones are much more likely to fail (esp. with an agressive cam).

what's the lift onthe catcams 283? the schrick 284 is 11.5mm, and it seems to work fine with new stock springs (schrick does reccomend heavy duty springs for the 284, but they are absolutely required for anything higher than that).
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  you should replace the rockers with new stock ones at least, to really break in the cam right. they really aren't too terribly expensive and the older ones are much more likely to fail (esp. with an agressive cam).

what's the lift onthe catcams 283? the schrick 284 is 11.5mm, and it seems to work fine with new stock springs (schrick does reccomend heavy duty springs for the 284, but they are absolutely required for anything higher than that).
                  The rockers are brand new. They were replaced after one failed.

That happened like 3-4 months ago.

So I guess newer ones are not needed, since I haven't stressed the car that much after I fixed it.

The info on the cam is this :

11.90/11.90 - 283/283 so, 11.90 is the lift I suppose.

Springs will be replaced, I read a lot of posts saying they need to be changed to at least new stock ones, so I'm not taking risks, I want it done right.

Im also trying to find something like this for the E30, but I can't. Any ideas?

Comment

the rockers are probably fine then. you'll still need to follow in the regular cam break in procedure though.

11.9mm is pretty agressive. I would look into getting HD springs, even if there's a chance they aren't neccesary. You don't want to have to do this twice :p
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Considering stock flywheel numbers are 121/174, I dynoed 146/148 running a bit lean for my tastes. The chip is just the 173ecu, 19# injector, 7k limit, 93 octane flavor. Eventually I'm going m20b30 w/ stand-alone management.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by e30_325es View Post
                        Considering stock flywheel numbers are 121/174, I dynoed 146/148 running a bit lean for my tastes. The chip is just the 173ecu, 19# injector, 7k limit, 93 octane flavor. Eventually I'm going m20b30 w/ stand-alone management.
                        any explanation for loss of torque? or is it just the drive train.
                        97 tacoma 5 spd 4 cylinder
                        2001 330ci 5 speed
                        83 733i 5 speed, (FS)

Comment

Originally posted by TopOfTheLine89 View Post
                          any explanation for loss of torque? or is it just the drive train.
                          I think he's comparing flywheel numbers to wheels numbers. It's not as much of a loss in torque as it seems.

Comment

Working...
                          X