Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bimmer needs help

HOW DO YOU TIME A M20?????
    just finished rebuilding motor and it will crank but i think it is 180 degrees off timing because the motor will stop cranking (im doing it my hand) at a certain point. and i can go all the way around the opposite direction and it will stop there again.

please help me out

Line up crankshaft pulley and block marks.

Line up camshaft pulley and head casting marks.

Install belt. Spin motor two full turns, if all marks line up again you're golden.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

i did that.

Comment

How did you manage that if the engine won't turn thorugh a full revolution?

Double check the cam timing, or better yet get someone else familiar with these engines to do the check to avoid the "same mistake twice syndrome". If the cam timing is correct something is wrong inside the engine. To find it I'd start by pulling the head, rotating the engine and checking each piston's deck height. If those are all correct you have to look to the head for the problem.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

could it be that the engine was not on the compression stroke when i put the head on?

Comment

i still dont know how to adjust timing"p

Comment

Originally posted by 85Ecoupe View Post
              could it be that the engine was not on the compression stroke when i put the head on?
              It doesn't matter whether it's compression stroke. The bottom half doesn't care what the top half is doing, as long as the marks line up when you start and after 2 full crank revolutions.
              The current fleet:
              1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
              1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
              1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Comment

ok, ive been going over what happened, and i lined the marks up on both the crank and the cam. Next I put the timing belt on. And after the i adjusted the valves. Now while i was adjusting the valves I manually cranked the motor to get each cylinder at TDC. i probably went more than 2 times around. Only after i tried to start the car(which all it did was turn the starter because i unhooked the spark so i could prime the motor) and it stopped turning over. I then took out all of the spark plugs to relieve compression and i tried turning it by hand. It would go about 1 rotation and then stop. I went the opposite direction and it stopped at the same point.

Ok, now what i think happened was i took the metal pin out of the tensioner spring because the timing belt would not go on otherwise(a retarded move on my part i dont need to be flamed, i already flamed myself) I think it popped out and timing jumped. does this sound plausible???
                Last edited by 85Ecoupe; 11-01-2007, 06:32 PM.

Comment

i just took the head back off....... im screwed...

4 exhaust valves have broken off and 2 pistons are gouged.

oh yeah i know what happened, it jumped timing:s

what should i do now?????? i head conversion, new motor(s14, 302, 350, M50 etc....)

Comment

Originally posted by 85Ecoupe View Post
                    what should i do now?????? i head conversion, new motor(s14, 302, 350, M50 etc....)
                    supercharged or turbo 4.3 v6

1992 BMW 325iC
                    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Buy my engine! http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...d=1#post879811
                      Byron
                      Leichtbau

Comment

new motor time 1000 hp s38 turbo :-D

but on a more serious note

drop a 3.0l in that mug

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                        PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

im thinkin bout a mustang 5.0 beast muahahaha...ha

350is anyone?

BTW if anyone has info on this swap i need it :) thanks

Comment

something is just wrong with crossbreeding

Comment

hey man just think....

amazing body/handling/goodness of the BMW+raw american muscle=pure bliss!

Comment

Working...
                              X