Idle Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle Help

When the engine is cold in my car, it won't idle at all. After it warms up, it'll idle ok, but not very smoothly. My friend who used to own it said it's going to need an idle control valve. A couple questions:
    1. Is it the idle control valve that's causing this?
    2. Do I need the T shaped or the L shaped valve?

V1 - Debadged - Painted Reflectors - Black Kidneys

1987 325e

Originally posted by cowmoo32 View Post
    When the engine is cold in my car, it won't idle at all. After it warms up, it'll idle ok, but not very smoothly. My friend who used to own it said it's going to need an idle control valve. A couple questions:
    1. Is it the idle control valve that's causing this?
    2. Do I need the T shaped or the L shaped valve?
    you need a T-shaped one if you have a t-shaped icv, and an L-shaped one if you have an L-shaped one. Does your car have an icv at all, is that the reason you ask? otherwise it should be pretty obvious ;) It may not be the icv at all though, some investigative work may be a cost-effective way for you to find out. Im sure someone has outlined how to find out on here.
    95 Integra GS-R 4dr
    89 325is coupe, baseline dynojet pull: 148hp, 150tq
    AE86 Zenki Liftback, Miata Supercharged, others...

Comment

test your coolant temp sensor first. if it won't idle when cold that's usually the culprit since the ECU needs to know how cold it is to enrichen the mixture.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

A hot rough idle and a really bad cold idle sounds like an intake leak. You could also have an ICV problem, but a sticky ICV tends to cause a surging idle.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          test your coolant temp sensor first. if it won't idle when cold that's usually the culprit since the ECU needs to know how cold it is to enrichen the mixture.
          +1. also check the tps.
          I'd rather have Sarah Palin 1 hearbeat away from the Presidency than Nancy Pelosi 2 heartbeats away.

Comment

I'd check your O2 sensor, cold start valve, thermostat, and thermostat sender as well as the aforementioned parts.

Comment

Working...
            X