Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost a spark plug..

.. and now my car runs a bit oddly.
    Well, to make a long story short, last monday, I was driving my car on the freeway when I spark plug came loose and fly out of the engine. Anyways, I finally had time today to go and get a new spark plug and plugged it into slot. You can probably tell from my lack of correct terminology and such that I am a complete noob when it comes to working on my car.
    Anyways, after starting up my car, I drove it for about a mile and noticed a bit of hesitation when I accelerated and a bit of "bucking." It wasn't doing this before the incident; so, I am assuming that I did something wrong installing the plug. Like there is much to it, right? geez...

So, any suggestions to what I screwed up? Thanks

did you use antiseize? did you make sure the threads were cleaned, and that you didn't cross thread it? did you torque it down properly?

pretty crazy that it popped out like that. I bet the threads were a bit gummed up in the head, so it wasn't as tight as you thought it was.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Ya, I definitely don't believe that it was tightened all the way. I used the spark plug tool that came with my car to tighten the plug in. The connector was a bit tricky to get on. I didn't use antiseize. Could that have cause my car to feel bogged down?

Comment

So, I realized that I lost that little cap that goes on top of the threaded connector part of the spark plug. I am guessing the connector and electrical plug don't connect; therefore, my cylinder isn't running. hopefully

I just think that it's weird that my car was hesitating and bucking when accelerating. Or is that just what happens when you aren't getting spark to a cylinder?

Comment

None of my plugs have the caps on them, I'm running the BavAuto wires. Do stock wires use the caps on the plugs?

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

No caps, you run just the threads with OEM or most BMW specific aftermarket wires.
            :: PNW Crew ::
            '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Hmm.. then I don't know what is going on. Any suggestions?

Comment

When the plug blew out, it might have pulled the plug wire and damaged it. Try testing that plug wire for its resistance (which is often difficult to do and get consistent results) or visually inspect it. Try swapping in a set of good used plug wires to see if the problem goes away.

Comment

I will try and check that. I am planning on just using my car to get home in about a week. I live about an hour away. With my car in this condition (feels rough.. maybe less power.. cylinder not firing?), is it ok to drive? I plan on giving the engine a workover in the next month (well, let trained professionals work on it heh). Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                  X