325I engine into 325IX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325I engine into 325IX

Guys I need help I think my enigne might be going bad. SO will a 325I engine fit into the IX and how much will it cost to do the swap.
    thanks

I've always been proud of being a Marine.
    I won't hesitate to defend the Corps
    "Supersquad"

‎"Prostitutes are a sub-category of Amusement Parks"-

engine block is different.

Stop driving your car and see if you can save your block from the ix, and do a rebuild using new or used parts from a 325i.

Comment

^^the car is in the shop that is what I told the mechanic.

"Supersquad"

Comment

get in touch with peaveybassist on here.

He put an iX motor in his i.

Only difference is the oil pan. IIRC from him, there were a couple of pan bolts that are in different spots, but it sounded to me like you could make it work if he did in the opposite direction.
        Current Cars
        2014 M235i
        2009 R56 Cooper S
        1998 M3
        1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
          get in touch with peaveybassist on here.

He put an iX motor in his i.

Only difference is the oil pan. IIRC from him, there were a couple of pan bolts that are in different spots, but it sounded to me like you could make it work if he did in the opposite direction.
          sorry, but that's wrong - there are WAY more differences than just the oil pan.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well, EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE me!

:-P

I told him to contact Will because Will DID in fact put an iX motor into his i car. He would be in an excellent position to advise him on the differences.

Perhaps if franco contacted someone with first hand knowledge and not relied on me or some PNW iX snob, he'd get more than my half ass information and your gainsaying.

Current Cars
            2014 M235i
            2009 R56 Cooper S
            1998 M3
            1997 M3

Comment

thanks guys I am thinking of buying an 325I engine and try to rebuilt my engine fucking OIL PUMP is my main problem every where I go there are charging between 900-1100 just to replace the pump.

"Supersquad"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

Well, EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE me!

:-P

I told him to contact Will because Will DID in fact put an iX motor into his i car. He would be in an excellent position to advise him on the differences.

Perhaps if franco contacted someone with first hand knowledge and not relied on me or some PNW iX snob, he'd get more than my half ass information and your gainsaying.

a little defensive eh? What makes you think I don't have first hand knowledge? ;)

Here are the major things that are different:
                -there is no casting for the ix dipstick tube (I don't mean the hole isn't there, but the casting where the hole is drilled is not there)
                -the ix oil pump will not work in the regular M20 block (the pressure relief valve is bored into the block of the regular M20, but built into the oilpump of the ix)
                -intermediate shaft is reversed

the oil pump is the show stopper - going the other way would be easier, as you could simply bore the hole where the regular M20 oil pump bits go. but for an ix you'd have to machine a plug of some sort to thread into the hole.

I've had both blocks side by side. i was planning on using a regular M20 block in my car actually - but it won't happen without expensive machine work that is probably not worth the effort.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Nando
                  so if I understand this correct I need a IX engine to fix mine.
                  or can I used the parts of the 325I engine what parts do I need .

"Supersquad"

Comment

attaboy, Chris -

useful info - that is what he needs.

Franco, given what nando said and the fact that your oil pump is the weak link - sounds like you will need the iX block.

a memeber here - reggie - had one FS at one point - maybe he still does? He deals in a lot of e30 parts.
                    Current Cars
                    2014 M235i
                    2009 R56 Cooper S
                    1998 M3
                    1997 M3

Comment

the mechanic is willing to change the oil pump for $1100
                      but he saids there might be more than the oil pump(damage to the engine)
                      he said's he don't want to change the pump and the knocking noise be there.
                      Advice please

"Supersquad"

Comment

have him change the rod bearings too if he is in there

Comment

Originally posted by whowhatwhere View Post
                          have him change the rod bearings too if he is in there
                          do you think that were the noise is coming from?.

"Supersquad"

Comment

ix engines aren't that hard to find - the problem is you'll likely have to ship it.

I would just pull it and do a full rebuild. take apart the oil pump and inspect it for wear - if it's fine, you can reuse it. ix oil pumps are expensive ($190). you can try dropping the guts of another motor in there, but unless there is damage to the crank that is pointless. of course having the other bottom end for parts can be helpful.

a couple important points -
                            -you have to keep the main bearing caps from your block, and in order
                            -if you have an early block, you need early bearings, a late block you need late bearings. I'm not sure when they switched, but my 7/87 block needed early bearings. they are not compatible.
                            -use whatever rods are in better shape, but I'd keep the whole set together
                            -pistons are the same - use whatever are in better shape
                            -do not regrind the crank - if it is worn, replace it with a good condition used crank. you do not want to deal with oversized bearings, rehardening, etc - and it will never be as good as OEM. Micropolish if you need to, but do it lightly.

you will also have to get the block rehoned, new rings, bearings etc. and don't lose those ix intermediate shafts, or get them mixed up with i parts! don't ask me how I know this :o
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

thanks for the great advice

"Supersquad"

Comment

Working...
                              X