Oil seperator/ catch cans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil seperator/ catch cans

I searched and didn't find much info on the subject.

Interested in what types people are running, how they've run the lines and what effect it has had on oil use.

In my case, I've got a tired old engine which has turned lord knows how many miles thats burning a bit of oil off throttle above 3k. I realize the best way to solve this would be a mild rebuild, but it's not leaking oil (knock on wood) so for the time being I'm considering installing a separator to see if that might help a bit.

Post up your setups/experiences please.

Burning oil on a trailing throttle sounds to me like valve seals. If that's the problem an oil separator won't help.

You can do a quick and dirty check to see if an oil separator would help. Disconnect the hose from the valve cover and plug it. Then connect a hose to the valve cover and route it into a good sized jug secured in a convenient spot in the engine bay, say a quart or more. For the test a quart milk jug tie wrapped in place should be fine.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      Burning oil on a trailing throttle sounds to me like valve seals. If that's the problem an oil separator won't help.

Valve seals are easy to replace with the head on the car, just replace em!

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
      1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
        Valve seals are easy to replace with the head on the car, just replace em!
        Valve seals refers to the seats imo. Stem seals is what you are refering too yeah?
        ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Last time I poked around the TB area, I noticed a good bit of oil residue which is why I thought a separator may be in order. I'd also been told at the last hpde by several members that they thought it was piston ring blow by (apparently a common problem?) causing the puffs of oil smoke and as such have been budgeting for a rebuild at some point.

Thanks for the tip guys, I'll replace the seals during the next valve adjustment.

Comment

While the valve seals can be replaced with the head in the car, by the time the seals are worn to the point that they are leaking the head usually is in need of a general refresh. My approach would be to pull the head and have it worked over.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
            X