Easiest way of removing/installing M20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easiest way of removing/installing M20?

After replacing the head gasket twice to no avail and having the head of my engine checked over/resurfaced, I think my engine is done for, thanks in no small part to some excellent overheating from a blown headgasket.

So, I bought a used engine from a guy who just did an M50 swap. I need to find the quickest/easiest way to get mine out and get this newer one in. I'll have jackstands, an engine stand and a small trolley jack, basic hand tools, and I'll be renting an engine hoist.

So far, I think I'm going to go with the following:

- Remove hood, radiator, fan/clutch, AFM/air filter.

- Unbolt exhaust from exhaust manifold.

- Disconnect all wires, coolant hoses to the heater core, back of head, thermostat, radiator; fuel lines to the rail/FPR; and vacuum line to the brake booster.

- Remove A/C and P/S pumps and suspend them with cords.

- Disconnect driveshaft, reverse light sender, and slave cylinder from transmission.

- Detach the transmission from the car - I assume there are mounts up top, and I'm not sure how the shift linkage is attached - and support with trolley jack.

- Support the engine from the hook on the front of the valve cover by a chain from the engine hoist.

- Unbolt the motor mounts on either side.

- Lift? I assume there'll be some fighting with it to keep the transmission from hitting the ground or the front of the engine from taking out the A/C condenser -- any advice here would be good.

While it's out of the car, I was planning on a new T-belt, switching over my nearly brand new water pump, changing the oil pan gasket, switching the transmission/clutch/flywheel over to the new engine. Anything else I should be doing would be good to know.

- Drop the engine+trans back in with the hoist, doing the reverse maneuvering as above.

- Reconnect everything I disconnected above.

Alright - so, what am I missing or planning on doing in a dumb order? What am I assuming is going to be simpler than it is? Any tips or tricks would be useful. Any new parts I should be getting other than the previously mentioned stuff? I'm getting new motor/trans mounts too.

I have no clue what I'm doing here, so I'd like to get as good an idea as I can before I start getting dirty.

Bentley?

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
      Bentley?
      Sorry to be OT, but does the bentley cover the 323i model?
      With engine specifications specific to the 2.3 m20?
      ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Pull the motor/tranny as a combo. It's mucho easier. Plus there is a second lift point besides the valve cover, it's a hole on the block near the starter. Use a load leveler.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          Bentley?
          Directions in the Bentley are for removal with the transmission separate, which I hear is a terrible way to do things, though, I'm sure most of it will be similar. I'm definitely planning to use this as a guide.

Comment

Originally posted by browntown View Post
            Pull the motor/tranny as a combo. It's mucho easier. Plus there is a second lift point besides the valve cover, it's a hole on the block near the starter. Use a load leveler.

How essential is the load leveler? I don't have one, I don't think I can rent one, and I definitely don't want to drop $40 on something that I'll only use once, unless I really have to.

Comment

it is essential. it is 30 bucks at harbor freight. you will use it pulling the motor, and installing the new one. if you decide for some reason that you wont need it after (i bet you will at some point) you can always sell it on ebay, duh
              Originally posted by blunt
              can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Every time I pull an e30 motor it is from the bottom with everything still together like these guys. It is fast and easy. it can be done by yourself with few tools..

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
                  Every time I pull an e30 motor it is from the bottom with everything still together like these guys. It is fast and easy. it can be done by yourself with few tools..

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=954182
                  Whoa....this looks amazingly easy.

Unbolt the subframe, unbolt the shock mounts, disconnect all the shit from the engine, and drop it?

This may be a dumb question, but what about the steering rack? As I recall from my oil pan change, it's a huge PITA to move.

Comment

4 little bolts lol.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                    1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Yeah, I'm pulling mine out through the bottom too. Block w/ auto trans together, head and intake are currently off too! I think after seeing those guys, I said screw the hoist!
                      Supatek -noun - your basic know it all

Comment

I know the hole you are talking about I just don't see how a leveler can be fastened to it without removing the Intake Manifold. . .please correct me if I'm off. I'm just not sure...

Equal rights should be all or nothing, not picked and chosen based on what's convenient for ones personal agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by badvibrations View Post
                          I know the hole you are talking about I just don't see how a leveler can be fastened to it without removing the Intake Manifold. . .please correct me if I'm off. I'm just not sure...
                          nm i'm an idiot

Equal rights should be all or nothing, not picked and chosen based on what's convenient for ones personal agenda.

Comment

I used bolts and washers to hold the chain.

Comment

I used bolts and washers to hold the chain.
                              yeah...not a bad idea thanks for the tip...
                              I'm 6 exhaust bolts and slave cylinder line disconnect away from that step...hope all goes smoothly...fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
                              X