Odd Smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Smell

i searched for threads on this problem but none of it really was similar to mine.

but i get this weird smell when i'm driving it a little hard shifting at high rpm's and once i stop and turn the car off the smell subsides fairly quick.

it doesn't smell like burnt rubber or exhaust. i'm wondering if have a small oil leak thats dripping onto an exhaust pipe or something. the head was rebuilt and all the gaskets were replaced pretty recently

but i dunno if anyone has ideas or suggestions i would appreciate it
    -Chris

Catalytic converter getting warm maybe? Do you have any obvious oil leaks? Input shaft seal on the tranny, oil pan gasket, etc... Several things that could leak onto the exhaust.

Comment

clutch odor from possible slipage ?

Comment

i can only dream of shifting at higher rpms with my eta. damn i miss my cabrio.

anyway, i would also say that its clutch odor from slipage. does it only happen when you drive it hard and shift at higher revs or all the time?

Comment

could it be a cracked exhaust flex joint
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
          Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerboy91 View Post
            i can only dream of shifting at higher rpms with my eta. damn i miss my cabrio.

anyway, i would also say that its clutch odor from slipage. does it only happen when you drive it hard and shift at higher revs or all the time?
            its only happening when i drive it hard.

and i've checked under my car everywhere i park and no leaks.
            -Chris

Comment

well if it only does it when your driving it hard, in the sence that your shifting constantly and letting out the clutch with the engine at high (ETA = not really high) rpms, then its just you clutch plate getting way hot.

Comment

This probably isn't it but I experienced a bad smell that had me thinking it was a dead animal in my roof until I finally sourced it to a bad battery,,, let me tell you what I did I drove it until the smell came back then I pulled over and popped the trunk then it smelt so bad of sulfur that I ran across the street for fresh air then ran back and turned the car off lol it was an OPTIMA too well there whent 145 out the window.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Working...
                X