Camshaft install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camshaft install

So I've called up a few local shops, one has quoted me 9 hours just for the headgasket and another 2-2.5 for the cam and the other quoted me 6-7 for the whole procedure. Obviously I'm hoping the latter is more experienced and actually capable of this but what would you guys think is a reasonable amount of time to do it. Also how difficult would it be to remove the head then reinstall myself? Could I mark the timing chain so it's simply bolt it back in?

9 hours is pretty excessive for a headgasket job

M20s don't have timing chains (they have belts) - but you do want to line up the cam and crank. there are marks on them already for TDC so it's not too hard. as far as swapping a cam, it's not really all that difficult, but I wouldn't do a cam without replacing the rockers, springs, seals and having a valve job done. if your'e thinking it's going to be a simple bolt on affair, it's more complicated than that.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I wouldn't be doing the valveadjustment. I'd simply be removing and reinstalling the head alongside a friend who's done all of this on his own motor. Being a v8 though he's not confident enough to do the entire job and is warry about working on a european engine for the first time.

Comment

-It's not that hard. If you can remove/replace a head, that you can swap the cam.

-As stated above, yes there are marks on the head/crank for timing.
        1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
          I wouldn't be doing the valveadjustment. I'd simply be removing and reinstalling the head alongside a friend who's done all of this on his own motor. Being a v8 though he's not confident enough to do the entire job and is warry about working on a european engine for the first time.
          it's probably easier to work on an M20 than most domestic engines. very, very simple. I can dissasemble an entire M20 head in about 30 minutes using only a flathead screwdriver, 10mm wrench, a ratchet to turn the cam, and a valve spring compressor. :)
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
          X