Rattle while stopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle while stopped

I have this rattle when the car is warmed up and stopped at a light/drive through etc. It does it in neutral but when the clutch is disengaged it goes away. Haven't had a chance to get my dad to look at it but anything I should go out and check out?
    sigpic

That sounds like rattle from the transmission input shaft if the noise goes away when you depress the clutch pedal. No big deal...
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

mileage on the transmission ?
      http://www.kingofeurope.net/2010/

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        That sounds like rattle from the transmission input shaft if the noise goes away when you depress the clutch pedal. No big deal...
        Any easy fix? I mean it drives fine and theres no drivetrain vibrations just sometimes it bothers me, well not me but the passengers. Kids today don't respect stuff like an E30 they like E90s.

Drift- I have no idea, its sort of a frakencar since Im owner number 10-12. I change everything out with OEM as it goes bad but Im not sure what camre with the car and what didn't. Odometer says 160K but I broke it about 15K ago so maybe 175-180. Still chirps the bottlecaps into third though. Now with 225/45s it only does second so I think the engine and tranny is in decent condition.
        sigpic

Comment

Both of my e30's have the input shaft noise. They've been fine, no problems. I really don't think it's an easy fix, if you want it gone. Most likely tearing down the trans...
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

You might try changing the transmission fluid to Redline MTL. It seems to help quieting down input shaft rattle (and makes shifts easier).

If it doesn't bother you, but you collect comments from passengers, tell them that that lightweight racing clutch/flywheels always have a rattle when in neutral and the clutch engaged.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

You might try changing the transmission fluid to Redline MTL. It seems to help quieting down input shaft rattle (and makes shifts easier).
              Shouldn't that depend on the color of the sticker on the trans? Both of mine take ATF / Dexron III. Is Redline MTL compatible?
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                Shouldn't that depend on the color of the sticker on the trans? Both of mine take ATF / Dexron III. Is Redline MTL compatible?

I think that's only the earlier tranny's. I've got MT-90 in mine and it was like flipping a switch - getrag rattle GONE. And their diff fluid made my 3.73LSD butter.
                Originally posted by chileelky
                amaze about the enthusiasm e30 generate

Comment

If it doesn't bother you, but you collect comments from passengers, tell them that that lightweight racing clutch/flywheels always have a rattle when in neutral and the clutch engaged.
                  THanks, I guess I will just live with it. The racing clutch is needed with my extra rich fuel mixture that smells in the cabin because of my supercharger wheel bearing whine.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X