88 325 starter help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 325 starter help

so i'm in the middle of replacing my starter in my 1988 325 and i can't get the damn thing off!! got everything off except the bolt and nut going to the bell housing of the tranny...the bently manual says to use a half moon wrench, well local sears doesn't have any in stock. any advice on how to get to that nut?

i tried running a big ass extension up the tunnel of the tranny to it with no luck at all, also got a 17mm wrench on it from above and its no use.

any help is appreciated!! thanks!

"Modern cars, they all look like electric shavers."
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bloodonthemotorway/sets/

sigpic

Sweet you have a seta(super eta). Have you tried the 173ecu?

I found a super short 17in socket and put it on the nut a thin breaker bar to hold it then unscrewed the bolt from the bell housing with a wrench, it takes time and patience and also the key is to break the bolt loose with out striping anything meaning use the correct fitting tools and correct leverage. Once the bolt is broken loose is should make life easier, also try some penetration oil or lube.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
    1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

thanks for the reply, did you put it on from above or from below?
      "Modern cars, they all look like electric shavers."
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/bloodonthemotorway/sets/

sigpic

Comment

Force a flat screwdriver between starter and the nut from above. if it's not extra tight it should work.
        Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
        BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
        BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
        BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Working...
        X