M42 to M20 swap....car won't fire up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 to M20 swap....car won't fire up

Picked up an M20 that was swapped into another M42 car so I figured this would be a bolt on and go setup but so far no luck. I get the car to turn over, smell gas, tested for spark and there is spark but the car won't fire no matter what.

The PO did the wiring for the ECU and from one connector, two wires run to what I am guessing is the tach since its wired to the guage cluster, and the other wire just loops around to a spliced wire that runs from the ECU to fuse #5 (hoping this isn't confusing at all).

What I am looking for is what needs to be rewired to get an M20 to work in an M42 car so I can compare it to what I have done already.

I can post pics if that helps.
    83 500 SEC.....aired and then some
    87 420 SEL......on 20" D's
    99 M3..............twinscrewed and wallet hungry

pics

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
    1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Nm got it running.

Comment

What was the problem? Glad you got it running

Comment

Had the fuel lines reversed (brain fart) and three of the injector connectors were frayed from someone (probably me) pulling on the harness, most likely with the engine hoist, and they were shorting themselves.

Now it runs, but it runs like absolute asshole. Hoping to get it running better tonight, it barely idles, stumbles and misses like crazy. This came out of a running car so this was definently something I did hahaha.

Comment

Working...
          X