Cleaning up the intake manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning up the intake manifold

So I have my intake manifold off the car with the fuel rail and injectors removed. While it’s off the car I figured I'd look into cleaning up the inside.

The intake side is all gunked up and full with oil (where the fuel injectors spray), is this normal? Should I just go ahead and clean this up with gunk or simple green?

Also, What all is involved with a port and polish? Is this something I should be doing myself or paying someone to do? What tools/supplies do I need to accomplish this.

I've read the intake side should not be 100% smooth due to the fuel/air mixture being messed up, but throttle body side can be as buttery smooth as you can get it.

Thanks in advance!

toughy, what are you doing with your car?

Comment

In the engine bay:

T-belt
      Crankshaft seal
      Water pump
      ALL coolant hoses
      rebuilt M50 injectors
      Engine mounts
      TPS sensor
      Temp sensor

Thats about it for that, but I'm also cleaning every last bit of gunk up and also spraying the intake mani and valve cover with a HD winkle coat.

I'm guessing having the intake side as gunked up as mine is, isn't normal? Also the throttle side is nice and wet looking inside.

Comment

Oil in the intake is usually the result of worn valve guides and seals. You can clean it out, but until the head is rebuilt it will soon be back.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

if you want to just freshen everything, it is inexpensive to have the manifold glass beaded and that will clean it well for painting also it will clean up the majority of the inside and the injector seats in preparation for some new isolators/seals...also, not a good idea to clean the intake ports with the cam installed lots of crap can get into the engine

2.7L M20 11:1 COMP 195 whp Dyno Dynamics 2380lbs

Comment

Looks like I'll get it glass beaded! They only problem is finding a shop. doing a search on google dosn't find anything. What type of shop should I be looking for (keyword).

thanks for the help
            Jon

Comment

I get my stuff done at a local machine shop...the same place that cuts flywheels does rebores that kind of thing

2.7L M20 11:1 COMP 195 whp Dyno Dynamics 2380lbs

Comment

I have a place right down the road glass beading the a VC, intake mani, and throttle body.

thanks for the help!

Comment

How about some before and after pics?
                  sigpic

"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...Holy S**t!! What a Ride!!"

Comment

I have some pics of how the engine bay was before the tear down, so I'll post up when everything is done.

Comment

Intake mani, valve cover, and throttle body look brand spanking new right now.

However, the shiny finishes on the gasket sides have all pitted. Can I just sand paper them down to shine again?

Comment

If you dont have gashes then it will seal.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                        1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
                          If you dont have gashes then it will seal.
                          There's pitting however. Should I still be good?

Comment

Originally posted by Schneider325 View Post
                            There's pitting however, from the glass. Should I still be good?

anyone?

Comment

You need to get it cold tanked, you could have it hot tanked but alot of shops around here wont hot tank aluminum parts. But that will get all of the "gunk" out of it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

Working...
                              X