advice re collision-related damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice re collision-related damage

I'm the proud owner of a beautifully restored '91 325i. Rebuilt engine, new interior, MTechII front/rear valances, great sound system, etc., etc.

Anyway. . .I was pretty heavily rearended late last week. Rear bumper and decklid took the brunt of the hit, but I'm concerned about the frame, too. That will be checked out.

But I'm looking for advice on this. . .

After the hit, on the way home, I noticed that the engine was revving (at idle) STEADILY but VERY HIGH (like 2500rpm) and within a few minutes saw that the temp gauge was almost in the red. Temp gauage now rushes to the red after start-up and some aggressive pedal-revving. Both these conditions NEVER happened before. There are no fluid leaks that I can see (beyond a pre-existing steering-fluid leak).

Now. . .I'm going to have trouble w/ claims adjusters, I expect. These guys a) know nothing about e30's, b) are going to assume the engine probls were pre-exisiting. Aside from demonstrating the probs (revving and temp) is there an overall rationale/explanation I can present to them re WHY/HOW a rearend collision could cause engine-bay problems on this car?

Help would be much appreciated. Appraiser coming on Tuesday.

JJL

If you were hit real hard the motor might have shifted forward and tapped the radiator.

Comment

I have seen Cadillacs break head bolts or pull the threads out when hit in a collision...

A jolt of force can do almost anything... Do you have pics?

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
      1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

pics would be best then we could probaly tell you. im guessing that the motor moved and bump the rad really good

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Working...
        X