Engine Hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Hot

For some reason my engine is running hot. Like 3/4 way on the temp gauge in my instrument cluster.

At first I thought it was because the auxiliary fan wasnt working, so i fixed the plug for it. It still runs hot even with the fan on. Im going to try a coolant flush to get the air out, and then put new coolant in it. Anything else I should look for or be concerned about?

Thanks!

You might have a bad thermostat. They are cheap and easy to replace.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

tstat is routine maintenance that should be done at least yearly

Comment

Originally posted by archemedes View Post
        that often? nah... every 2 years when I flush the coolant, maybe...
        1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Could be a bad sensor too, don't rule that out...
          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
            that often? nah... every 2 years when I flush the coolant, maybe...
            coolant manufacturers (green stuff) say every 6 months, as did most manufacturers. The extended life is 2 years tops as it does break down (the 100k thing was from marketing to make cost of ownership look lower, it has bit a few manufacturers with major issues like gaskets, and engines going bad)

Comment

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
              Could be a bad sensor too, don't rule that out...
              I assume by sensor you mean, a coolant sensor? My idiot light isnt on.. but Ill check it or replace it anyway.

So these are the possibilities Ive came up with.
              -Air in system
              -Need new coolant
              -Bad thermostat
              -Bad coolant sensor
              -Bad Head gasket (my gasket is fine though)
              -Fan clutch

Ill check and try everything on that list and hope for the best.

Thanks!!

Comment

if it's a real 3/4 then the car will run weird the maybe go off coz of overheating mine once reached a 3/4 then when i stopped the car the engine went off.
                check for heat by squeezing the radiator pipe if the are alittle soft then you have a bad sensor and the car is fine, but if the hoses are strong and like they are going to explode then you have a heating problem.
                hope this will work.

Comment

Thanks Aden. I gave the hoses a squeeze and the coolant system pressure is good.

I bought a new thermostat from bavauto. I assume that my thermostat is bad because my lower radiator pipes are ice cold while the upper hoses are pipin' hot. So, the pipes coming from the thermostat are cold. I got all the air out of my system, which was only a couple bubbles.

Next thing is the idle. Maybe the thermostat will fix it. When I press the button with the snow flake, my idle fixes. I have a hose coming off the ICV that was a bit cracked, so I bought a new one from bavauto today also. I would make a new thread but this seems relevant.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed1299 View Post
                    I bought a new thermostat from bavauto. I assume that my thermostat is bad because my lower radiator pipes are ice cold while the upper hoses are pipin' hot. So, the pipes coming from the thermostat are cold. I got all the air out of my system, which was only a couple bubbles.
                    yea that sounds like a t-stat

what year/type is your car?
                    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

its a '88 ix

Comment

Still waiting on that thermostat and ICV tubing. I believe it should be coming this weekend at latest. I hope just those can fix my idle/heat problems. :D

As of now, I just drive with the heat on full blast and gear it good so it doesnt get hot. If it starts to get past the 1/2 mark, I shut it off. Is this a safe alternative for the time being?

Comment

Originally posted by archemedes View Post
                          damn, my 22 year old t-stat will be pissed when he finds out

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                            damn, my 22 year old t-stat will be pissed when he finds out
                            Haha. Damn thats old!

Comment

Alright, so the thermostat didnt fix it. The lower radiator hose is still cold. I think my radiator is clogged up or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X